Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi, I'm New Here!

Discus + Arowanas?

I've seen display tanks that housed 7 adult Arowanas with 8 adult Discus. My discus are around 3-5", and I want to add 2-3 Arowanas that are about 9 inches. Do you think this combination will work long term?

I think it might work considering Discus are mid to low level feeders and stay at the mid-bottom of the tank, while Arowanas are direct opposites. Anyone have seen or tried this setup?

Thanks.

Larvae
    Hmm... I don't know about that. Arowanas are predatory fishes and get huge, so I really depends on the size of your tank there. Despite being very expensive (saw two at my LFS a while ago, think around $150 upwards for a 20 cm specimen, although how can I talk, discus are expensive too), I just don't think it'll work, sorry. Because of their nature, I'd suspect they'd try to harass your discus. I think you'd better read this link first - http://www.arowana.com.sg/enjoy_arrowana.html . I'm not trying to put you off or anything, but you should probably do some ready first.

Just an Egg
    Arowanas are best kept alone. My friend tried discus + aro and the discus end up holed up in a corner, getting real depressed and he had to gave them to me )

Hi, I'm New Here!
    I'll leave the discus as is and get another tank for the Arowanas.

Thanks.

Larvae
    Good idea.

Just wondering are we talking american arowanas (silver/black) australian arowana (saratoga) or asian arowanas?

all are big hungry fish and need a lot of room, a 6x2x2 is ok for 1 australian arowana, and a little small for an american, how big a tank are you looking at for a few arrows?

You cannot keep 2 or 3 arrows together.
    Its either 5-8 or 1
    "If it isn't a wild its way too mild ! "

Hi, I'm New Here!
    I have a 60 gallong grow out tank for the arowana but planning to buy a 300 gallon tank for the discus and arowana(s).

taksan, I was thinking about 1-3 arowanas but read that I need at least 7, so no arowanas+discus tank. I'll just leave things as is.

Just an Egg
    Hi,

this is Heiko Bleher and I wanted to underline what was asked before: what kind of arowana? From Australia, Asia, Africa or South America?

The only one which could be placed with discus is the South American silver arowana: Osteoglossum bicirrhosum - and if you have Heckel discus it must be Osteoglossum bicirrhosum, the black arowana with the latter.

But remember: arowanas grow very large and need a lot of free swimming room. (Also the discus, but they do not grow as large...). In general it is no problem if done as explained above, but have a large aquarium and do decoration accordingly and feed them very well...

Merry Christmas and a happy and healthy new Year,

from a collector

Heiko Bleher
    www.aquapress-bleher.com
    Heiko Bleher

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Interesting. I'll research this further.

Thanks.