Larvae

Colour for substrate

Hi guys,
    I am setting up my 2ft cube for when I finally get my hands on some alenquers and wondering about the colour of the sand/gravel. Since they are brown based dark would bring out their colour better right? Speaking of dark coloured substrate, has anyone tried the seachem onyx sand? I am wanting the tank to be semi heavy planted and have heard good things from some of the wholey planted tankers I know. The only major problem there is it costs an absolute fourtune........anyone want to help me make up my mind?

Hi, I'm New Here!
    hi im new here, i have not used the seachem onyx sand but i have used the tahitian moon sand and it really looks great with the plants. it makes them seem more lush and green. another alternative would be to use the 3m color quatz sand which comes in many color varieties. i checked it online and it is available in australia. in the states, it is about 20 dollars for 50 pounds versus the 15 dollars for 20 pounds of the tahitian moon sand.

Hi, I'm New Here!
    sorry, i really didnt fully answer your question. a brown or even reddish color substrate would bring out those nice colors in your alenquers. i think that the black will be a little too dark though and make them appear darker than desired. black does give a nice sleek look to an aquarium though.

hi and welcome to DF.com discusfreak2005
    DF.com Resident Cool Guy

Hi discusfreak, and welcome to the forum. Glad to have you join us all the way from Florida.

Hope you enjoy your time here :P
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Tiny Fry
    Definately dark colours will suit your fish. I've seen a few display tanks with medium-fine black gravel and they look awsome with plants. May be worth checking the availability of the black gravel as it may be cheaper than the sand.

Katie, watch out for those black gravels.

Some of them will turn your water very hard indeed.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend