Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Hi, I'm New Here!

Ladyred

Your post was great and very helpful. For instance, I had no idea that Discus of the same color should be bred so glad I'm doing some reading before jumping into it.

Life would be so much simplier if we could actually sex some of these fish before ending up with 7 males and one female.

So will peat moss alter/lower your ph levels, Or will it just stablise ur ph? how is it used? Do you just bag it up and add it in ur corner air filter?

peat moss

Ah Ha!!!
    you add peat moss into the filter that is in ur aged water, correct Merrilyn???
    im still curriouse about the question I asked above

Tha
    Chris

G'day Chris, i put it into a fine mesh bag and shove it into the canister filter of my water aging tank, works a treat just remember to replace each month.

Hi illusn, thanks for the advice. Could you also put it in individual tanks along with the filters?

So the peat moss will bring ur ph levels down and stablise it?

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by ILLUSN
    G'day Chris, i put it into a fine mesh bag and shove it into the canister filter of my water aging tank, works a treat just remember to replace each month.
    imo you're just complicating things. Sydney water is very soft. use aquamaster pond ph down. it comes in a 500 ml bottle for around $12 - $15. around 35 ml will get 250 litres of Sydney tap water down to 6-6.5.
    clean your fish of all bugs, Andrew Soh has a method posted somewhere. you may have a problem with fry mortality so concentrate on that. the water part in Sydney is easy, no need for peat.

Thanks samir.

Im not a s%*t stirrer, but whos advice do i take? hahaha lol Just Kidding!!!

thank you both for comments they have both been taken into consideration.

Chris

I'm talking about Sydney. Are you in Sydney ?

Just an Egg
    I had a question about young discus breeding. I have a pair that spawned for the first time yesterday evening (yay, my first spawn!), and they seem to get the concept alright. They're being very protective of their eggs and have shown no desire to eat them.

What I'm wondering is if they are too young to be breeding. They are 5-6 inches in size and still have a good amount of growth going on. I'm wondering if breeding while they're still growing will have negative effects on the parents. They are currently in a community tank, so I have no expectations that this batch will make it (to be honest I'm suprised they made it through the night). Should I leave the pair in the community tank or is it ok to give them their own tank and start breeding now? Is there some age or size they should be before they're allowed to raise fry?

Just an Egg
    One more question...I also was wondering about methyl blue. I've seen recommendations to use it, but am unclear on what it does and how much is supposed to be used.

Thanks for all your help with us newbies.