Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Hi rollaboy, welcome to the forum.

Yes I do still feed the parents in the breeding tank. I find once they have eggs, they are not very interested in food, but I still do offer their normal food, but not quite so much as usual, so as not to foul the tank.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

welcome to DF.com matt!
    DF.com Resident Cool Guy

Larvae
    Hi Ladyred
    Can I ask why you say to use juveniles of the one colour?
    I bought 7 juveniles, all different,as I thought it might be nice to see what they will come up with when pairing off & breeding, But now I am not sure after reading this.
    I would like to thank you for all the help you give to me & people on this forum, I very much appreciate your advice
    Regards Max

Tiny Fry

Re: DISCUS BREEDING BASICS - a beginners guide.

Quote Originally Posted by ladyred
    If you are aiming to breed these magnificent fish, then I would suggest you start off with 4 or 6 juveniles of the one colour,
    why of one color? i have 9 different colors

Just an Egg
    Hi Rytis:

That's fantastic!!
    I'd say you'll have great combo frys to look forward!!...
    Enjoy...
    Nag
    "Out of hibernation"

Re: DISCUS BREEDING BASICS - a beginners guide.

Quote Originally Posted by rytis
    Quote Originally Posted by ladyred
    If you are aiming to breed these magnificent fish, then I would suggest you start off with 4 or 6 juveniles of the one colour,
    why of one color? i have 9 different colors
    most breeders try and improve a strain not dirty it up so to speak.

although generally you may actually cross breed to get desired results, its generally planned not a hit and miss thing.

Medium Discus
    agreed Nick!!!

One breeder doesnt have the ability i dont think (unless its a crazy malaysian breeder) to creat a new strain of discus, so rather then having mutts, its better to breed discus of the same strain, or very simmilar, to better the offspring, rather then making weird mutations of either strain of the parents...
    Benny

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Hi Ladyred.

I currently have only 4 babies discus out of around 40 (my very first time) because my box filter intake took most of them ( i cover the intake with sponge but because it is dark and still has little gaps which the babies get sucked into, next time i will put a white net around the sponge intake as well), they are two weeks old now (4), the father seems to have the babies most of the time.

I would like to know if i can skip the baby brime shrimp part which i wont feed them ( they are too hard to do also i have 200L tank the babies will never find the shrimp), i still feed the parent discus dinner which each time they eat there are heaps of little pieces like a clound everywhere, can the babies eat those and feeding from the parent bodies until they reach the stage where they can get food on their own?.

Also if we use pair from the same parent and this may happen again down to the next few generation does it has any ill effect on the quality of the fish? (inbreed?), becuase i think it is so hard to find match colour fish come from different strain that also pair up.

Steven

Just an Egg
    Steven

there has been ppl that have tried not feeding baby brines shrimp (BBS) but it is truely the best way to raise discus fry. I normally offer BBS at around day 5-6 and then normally remove from parents around day 21 but can be dependant on how the pair are behaving

Here is a link to help you with BBS, it is quite simple once you have the hang of it.
    http://www.petsforum.com/personal/tr...ngartemia.html

If you really wanted to raise the fry it is best to move the pair to a seperate breeder tank.
    chances of fry survival in a community tank is slim.
    Like ladyred suggested earlier.

2x20x20 is fine for breeders as it is what i used and that size is still fine for the youngens when you move them out into their own tank.

Sponge filter is by far the best wrapped in filter wool so i is brightly coloured.
    Anything else and you really do risk the fry.

Ladyred's suggestion to buy group of the same strain is best.
    it is easy if you purchase 6-8 or so at the same time.if you orgnised with LFS you will get the same strain.Also note not all fish will be exactly the same as they are a living things and not made in a factory.

IMO breeding sibling is wrong.
    It can develop a genetically weak fish over the generations and lead to abnormalities.

It is really best to always have unrelated pairs were ever possible as i would not like to see these inbreed fish enter the market.
    All these fish should be culled IMO.
    it may sound harsh but we should always be tring to improve the fish.

Larvae

10% water change -

Hi Merrilyn

Thankyou for your post on breeding basics. I have got to the wriggler stage but that is as far as I get.

I have read too many articles on waterchanges and would appreciate your help.

When they get to the egg stage you do a 10% water change each day, are you using a decloronator such as prime for the 10%, plain tap water or aged water.

Do you prefer Prime or Aquatan?

With aged water has it already been declorinated with one of the above?

This time my discus had a good number of eggs but they all died within 48 hours. Just wondering what I am doing wrong. We got to the wriggler stage just over a month ago, and they have eggs every 1-2 weeks but would love to get further than this.
    (¯`·._)§andy(_.·`¯)