Hair Algae is there a complete solution to getting rid of it

Hair Algae is there a complete solution to getting rid of it all together? I have had the same display aquarium for over 20 years and about four years ago hair algae started to grow on a fantastic piece of driftwood I have had in the tank for about 7 years. I have used a number of products some didn't have any effect at all and others have killed fish. I have scrubbed the wood back with a scourer and even let it completely dry out with not luck. It goes for a while but within 2 months it is back. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Free Swimmer
    Sounds to me like your chem is off.

You never really "get rid of" algals.

The secret is keeping them in check.

And the cool thing is................

IT'S EASY!!

Most of the time it comes down to water quality.
    Regular water changes are the only way to keep an unbalanced system from going agro on ya.

Either that or you need to add some more plants to absorb that extra nitrate.

At the end of the day it is all about water quality and balance.

Another factor could be too much light.

Can you give us more info?

Tank size, lighting setup, water change schedule, bioload, etc......
    "I am not the chicken plucker. I am the chicken pluckers son, and I'll be plucking chickens till the chicken plucker comes!"

Blue Diamond Discus
    Are you getting any direct sunlight ? The only tank I have algae problems with gets hit every morning through the blinds.

I am thinking about getting some kind of screen to put in the front of the tank at night, and take off when I come home from work when I get to really appreciate them. Anyone with any ideas of a screen ?
    Dave

Medium Discus
    This might be a bit hard.
    16 of the the 20 years you never had algae. The last 7 you got the wood then the last 4 year's you got hair algae.

IMHO the easiest way is lose the wood if that's the only thing affected.
    Or you can bleach it or boil it,but it will come back sooner or later.
    More info needed if you really want to keep the wood.

Medium Discus
    Weird just cover it with a towel,blanket.

Just an Egg
    Add 4 False Flying Fox Hopefully these are available there. If you have plants keep lighting to about 9-11 hours per day and use a light timer to turn the lights on whilst you are out, If you are at work during the day then your lights don't have to be on allday.
    If you work days then About 1pm should be a good time for your lights to come on and it will give your fish enough time to wake up and welcome you home properly.
    If you dont have plants then 8 hours a day will be a maximum, preferably 6.

If you reduce nitrate and phosphate to zero (almost impossible but very low will do) then you could leave the lights on allday without getting algae problems. I don't recommend that though.

Water changes with high quality water such as RO, if you choose to buy an RO filter that get one custom made to your requirements.

I'd use high quality Phosphate remover and Nitrate remover in a canister filter. These are available as absorbtion resins but will have to be changed periodically ( changing is less frequent if using RO water as tapwater will have levels of phosphate and nitrate that will therefore have to be absorbed).

Use both of these methods in conjunction, it's worth it.

Sounds like a lot, well you dont have to worry as its not.

You can get a Nitrate reducing filter that can colinise a form of bacteria that feeds off nitrates, these bacteria are not present in normal filters as they need an enviroment with no oxygen in. They are anaerobic.
    http://www.aqua-medic.de/index0.html
    This is australian dealer
    mailto:enquiriesupport@aqacenta.com.au

And i use a dust sheet to cover my tank as they come in XXL sizes.

Barry
    This will not only deeat algae but your fish will really appreciate it. High tech is not only for reef keepers.
    Hope this helped.

just get an army of B/N!
    DF.com Resident Cool Guy