Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Plant Problem

Medium Discus
    Gday Dr V,

First off go to some very good planted tank sites that I have learnt heaps from -

www.plantedtank.net.com (then go to the forum section)

www.aquabotanicwetthumb.infopop.cc (another good site)

Also look up Rex Grigg at www.rexgrigg.com

www.thekrib.com and anything written by Tom Barr.

After you have perused these sites you may be enlightened.

Your tank could just be unbalanced. You may need to add some substrate fertilizers eg. root tabs etc. Just having normal gravel/sand is not enough. I also don't think you need any phosphates as the food you feed your fish should suffice.

Before adding any nitrates etc I would check your levels. The test kits are not that expensive.

Also how many litres is your tank. Do you have enough wattage for you tank or do you have too much.

If you have high wattage and add ferts you will need CO2. The size of your tank will then determine what type of CO2 system you will need. I would stay clear of the cartridge type system as all I have heard of them are bad reviews (cost of replacement cartridges etc). If you are serious I would go for a pressurised system, they might cost more but they get the best results.

If you need any more info PM me.

Dave.

San Merah Discus
    Thanks for all the info Davo...
    My tank is 4X2X2 so around 450L
    And i use 4X 55Watt white light,
    I dont use any blue light at all

Thanks, going to check out all the sites that u listed there ^^

Gezz this forum helps so much !!!! love it!

Just an Egg
    Hey,
    Co2 isn't as expensive as people may think, i scored a regulator with i gauge and needle valve for $70 or you can buy a tunze for $150 with two gauges. The bottle you can just rent from BOC gases for about $9 a month(this would last a year. Make a bubble counter and reactor only real cost is the regulator. I have also possisioned the tank outside my bedroom window just incase it did leak.
    Matt

San Merah Discus
    sounds great, can u show us some pic please ??
    Thanks

Wrigglers

High Nitrate

My LFS suggested I put a product called "CLEARWATER" into my cannister filter. It is in a mesh bag.

This combined with a 30% WC every 2nd day has seen my Nitrate levels drop. Also re-arranging the noodles, filter medium and filter pad in the filter - it has made all the difference. Any opinions with this?

Just an Egg
    hey,
    here's a link to the tunze regulator http://www.aquaria.com.au/catalog/pr...oducts_id/5055 although i bought my regulator off a mate here in perth.
    Matt

San Merah Discus
    hmm ic .. thanks for the info