Hi, I'm New Here!

Question Discus not eating

Hello, I recently bought 4 Discus a little over a month ago. Only 3 of my discus currently eat, my 4th discus doesn't bother eating and I'm afraid for her. I need to know why she won't eat, any information will be helpful. Thank you.

Hi, I'm New Here!

discus wont eat

Quote Originally Posted by Levon View Post
    Hello, I recently bought 4 Discus a little over a month ago. Only 3 of my discus currently eat, my 4th discus doesn't bother eating and I'm afraid for her. I need to know why she won't eat, any information will be helpful. Thank you.
    You Should try out Seachem Garlic Guard for that matter. it will usually entice the discus to eat. just soak flake/pellet food in half a cap with Garlic Guard.

Hi, I'm New Here!

Quote Originally Posted by Levon View Post
    Hello,

I'm sorry to hear about your concern regarding your fourth discus not eating. There could be several reasons why this particular discus is not showing interest in food. Here are a few factors to consider:

Acclimation: Sometimes, newly introduced discus may take time to adjust to their new environment. It is not uncommon for them to exhibit a reduced appetite during this acclimation period.

Stress or Dominance: Discus are known to be sensitive fish, and stress can impact their eating habits. It's possible that the fourth discus is experiencing stress due to tank dynamics, such as aggression from other fish or a dominant discus asserting its territory.

Water Quality: Poor water quality can have a significant impact on the health and appetite of fish. Ensure that the water parameters, including temperature, pH levels, and ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels, are within the appropriate range for discus.

Disease or Illness: It's essential to rule out any underlying health issues. Monitor the affected discus closely for any signs of disease, such as abnormal behavior, discoloration, or visible symptoms like sores or lesions.

Recommendations:

Perform regular water tests and maintain excellent water quality.
    Observe the tank dynamics and check for any signs of aggression or stress among the discus.
    Offer a variety of high-quality, nutritious foods such as frozen or live brine shrimp, bloodworms, and high-quality pellets designed for discus.
    If the discus continues to show no interest in food or displays other concerning symptoms, consult a knowledgeable aquarium professional or veterinarian who specializes in fish health to evaluate the situation further.
    Remember, each discus may have unique preferences and behaviors, so it's important to monitor them closely and provide the best possible care.