Hybrid View

Hi, I'm New Here!

Unhappy Discus frustration, advice would be humbly appreciated

I've kept discus for 3 years (switched from African cichlids). Adults cost allot so I've been getting discus between 1 inch up to 4 inches but none of them grow. I've been told that it's just bad luck, that I should feed blood worms, that I should feed frequently. I've read about frequent water changes and I tried q 2 day changes for a few months without success. I've also tried subbing half of tap with RO (PH tap water varies from season to season between 7.5 and 8) and I have tried different "meal plans" including making beef heart recipes.

I recently read that there should be no substrate in the tank - is that true for all discus juveniles, even 4 inch sizes? Does that include decorations? I've never had nothing in the tank.

I'm about ready to throw in the towel - it's allot of work that's not working so far, plus it's expensive to keep failing. Any suggestions? I plan to try again (one more time!) with an empty 50 gallon tank. I have my stunted fish that have not grown over a year - do I start over? see if they will start growing? Optimal water changes? Frequency of feeding?

Water parameters are PH 7.8, ammonia and nitrite zero, nitrate about 5 ppm. I feed only with flakes and bug bites twice a day. Felt too discouraged to try the beef heart again and worried about diseases with blood worms.

Thank you for any advice.

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Update: 50 gallon tank, no sand. I have one small piece of wood (Hamiledyi). Filters are HOB and sponge. PH 8.0, nitrate 10, ammonia and nitrite 0. Fish include 2 new discus 2 inch and 3 inch and 4 stunted discus up to 4 inches, 12 cardinals, 3 bristle nose, 3 roseline sharks. Changing water about twice a week 50% with pre-treated, aged water. Feeding at least three times a day with Cobalt premium fish flakes.

Hi, I'm New Here!

no flakes

Flakes are not for discus
    search online, there are many articles on feeding discus, from bloodworms to brine shrimp to beefheart and so much more.

I use only RO water, and change 1/4 of all water daily.

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Update: So far no obvious growth. The new fish had swim bladder disease so now I soak the flakes before giving it to them

Hi, I'm New Here!
    The fish aren't growing so I plan to do daily water changes for the most part. I also read on one site that I should increase the tank temp to about 86 F. I also vary the flakes with bug bites and brine shrimp. I plan to get Hikari Bio-gold based on on-line reviews. Fingers crossed.

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Update: No growth yet. I have an RO system and am using 50:50 mix and changing the water about 50% daily. I started both 2 weeks ago. The ph is about 7.2, kph about 80 (using test strips so not accurate). Ammonia and nitrate are zero and temp is 86 F. I took the 2 BN out and the roseline sharks. Feeding 3 + times a day depending on my schedule.