Just an Egg

Angel fish and discus

If you want to keep angel fish with discus, which works out well in most cases, you may want to treat the angel fish with octozin first due to a protozoan called Hexamita which can live in angel fish and not affect them but then attack discus.
    Hexamita is a flagellated protozoan found in the gastrointestinal tracts of a variety of cold and warm water fish, including several species of Cichlids which are popular aquarium pets. It can be a serious health problem in angel fish and discus.
    Here is a very informative link; http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/BODY_VM053 and another;http://www.aqualink.com/fresh/z-hexamita.html

Alistair

Thanks for the advice...

I personally have heard so many conflicting stories regarding keeping these fish together...

... keep in mind that Hexamita is everywhere. Even healthy fish are usually carrying a wide range of potential pathogens in or on their bodies. As angelfish and Discus are especially vulnerable, be sure and take extra precautions to ensure your fish don't become stressed, and in turn vulnerable to the latent types of infections.

Hexamita and/or Spironucleus most commonly cause "Hole in the head disease", or HLLE, and other types of dermal / lateral line degradation.

The best way to treat Hex, as with most pathogens, is to provide medicated food. The problem is, once most fish show symptoms, they are likely to loose their appetite, especially discus. What you will then need to do is use medication directly to the water column. Common treatments are Dimetridazole or Metronidazole, both which are normally only available with a veterinary prescription (in the US anyway). Metro is the medication that is the best treatment for the job.

Things to keep in mind, HLLE has been linked to vitamin C deficiency, as well as stray-voltage from equipment and parts. If you continue to treat the symptoms and they don't seem to be getting better. You might want to look at both of these not-so-obvious possibilities.

Good luck!
    - PDubya

Not really medical but just another point when keeping angels with discus you want the discus to be larger than the angel the reason for this is because if angels are the same size or bigger that the discus they will muscle out the discus at feeding time.

Cheers
    Scott

Just an Egg
    I second what Scott said. I wouldn't keep these fish together, personally. If for no other reason than that I could not tolerate a $8 angel out-competing or stressing a $100 discus of the same size! Call me mercenary .. (but I won't answer you :P )

Just an Egg
    I keep my Koi Angel with my trio of Discus and don't have a single problem. The angel actually swims around, turns, and follows the large Blue Diamonds every move! Ofcourse, when I introduced the Discus I had no experience with Discus.

Thats a little bit older of an image, but things haven't changed with the fish, only the tank
    Thank you,
    Cory

My Tank Pics!

cory, that Blue has a nice shape....

thx for sharing....

Cory., that is a great Pic, the Koi and blue are beautiful.!! When I first brought my 4 discus home, I had a very large angel. It cracked me up, it was like the angels was mothering them..The constantly hung together...

Just an Egg
    Thanks Annie & MM! I know what you mean Annie, my angel thinks she's a Discus! Blue is her best friend now, and she follows him everywhere. Hopefully I can get a better pic of the angel showing its fins erected. It turned out to be a beautfiul angel, and surprisingly, its fins are not flawed what soever! Her ventrals are very long too, reaching the length of her lower fin.
    Thank you,
    Cory

My Tank Pics!