Just an Egg

Cade Altumate 1200

After a bumpy ride I’m now feeling a wee bit more comfortable in keeping these magnificent fish, or ‘dinner plates’ as my family have nicknamed them . Thanks everyone for the advice on this forum over the past two years, particularly Hollowman and Sayid. I’ve learnt a lot more than I knew when I started but my knowledge is still just a 💧 in the bucket!

I’ve purchased a Cade Altumate 1200 which I pick up from Qld - combined a driving holiday with tank collection, lol, as one does when freight quote to our distant region is $1,000! Wanted something bigger for the gang to swim around in. Combined with awesome sump (link to pic of sump) it has a total volume of 633 litres. Looking for suggestions on setting up sump. I’m thinking bakki balls and sponge/wool layer in the first chamber, refugium in the second chamber and 2 continuum bac bricks in the final chamber. Have a dry Red Sea pump as return pump. Remember I’m ‘just an egg’ with a drip of knowledge so any suggestions are most welcome

https://goo.gl/images/vzDXTj

Wrigglers
    Cade Altumate 1200 ,that definitely sound impressive ,633 liter of water is a lot and you can put 15 adult discus in there ,unfortunately i have never had experience with sump ,i am sure Steve
    ( Hollowman ) can chime in .
    Good luck.

Just an Egg
    Hi Sayid, nice to hear from you again. Thanks for responding. Well as things go my nephew got involved over the 1200 and convinced me that as I’m driving a 7000k round trip to pick up a tank while on holiday I may as well in his words ‘ Aunty go bigger, you’ve got the room and the time’ so after very little consideration..I’ve upgraded to a 1500, which is 840L tank and 200L sump. Being retired is soo good because you have so much more time for hobbies and I’m loving this particular hobby! I’ve managed to find an awesome piece of driftwood from the beach which is about a metre long with an arch and branches; currently soaking to remove any nasties. Plan to sand it back and secure it to slate for the new tank. Obviously you’ll gather I’m rather excited about this new project! Hopefully my Discus will love their new environment. I’m amazed at their growth and how calm they are when I’m mucking around in their tank, so much so they get in the way when I’m cleaning. I recall you told me ages back to stop stressing and enjoy them...think I’ve finnnnnaaaally got to that stage!

I had a sump for my system back a while, I had loads of photos on here too, but with photobucket changing their policies now all photos have gone from the site.

I will try and find the photos again and post. I used filter floss and sponge in the first chamber where the water dropped in, it took out the big particulates of food, poo etc, then a mix of bio-balls and grog (porous rocks) in the other three chambers. never had a problem with ammonia and gave great stability.

Be great to see your set up Krissy once you get it filled, remember, be patient with maturing the sump. Will you do a fishless cycle?
    Why me ?

Wrigglers
    Hi Krissy ; 840 l tank plus 200 l sump is a serious set up ,we need photos .

Just an Egg
    Hi Steve and Sayid, got back from Queensland this week with Cade cabinet on back of Ute. Had to put the tank on transport so that arrives mid next week. I’m in the fortunate position to have room in lounge to temporarily house both tanks until the Cade is fully cycled so will be taking my time with setting up the Cade. I managed to get two beautiful butted pieces of driftwood, one being about a metre long and the other about 650 high. Both have the gorgeous natural buttrose ends. The bigger one I’ll place lengthwise and the other upright. I’m going to run a journal on it as this is something I haven’t done before and gives me a written record even if it bores everyone else, ��.

Wrigglers
    Looking forward to some photos.