Thread: Dead discus

Just an Egg

Dead discus

Iíve tried twice to post in the emergency forum without success - posting this before I waste time typing again. If works will post my urgent issue

Just an Egg
    Worked! Yesterday morning found my yellow discus dead - no colour fade (reason later for mentioning) and partially eaten. Came home really late night before so didn’t check tank. Removed her and checked params - only nitrate higher from 5 - 10 up to 40 ppm, ammonia 0 all others same as normal. 90% wc done, remaining 8 seemed fine - feeding, swimming normally etc. This morning found blue diamond at bottom of tank, resting upright against weir and barely breathing. Her colour had faded significantly in the main body area to a grey-white. By time I retrieved her from tank she’d stopped breathing. I immediately dosed tank with ‘wormer plus’ and removed a plant I had growing in tank (been there at least 2 months) pothos plant on the off-chance this could be the problem? Wondering if I should dose tank with melafix but worried I might be dosing when don’t know what’s wrong. Did take a photo of blue after took her out from tank but having trouble uploading. Will ry again after post this.

Just an Egg
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0FA4ED71-EB2E-465B-AE83-835952588DB5.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	16.2 KB 
ID:	21433Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0FA4ED71-EB2E-465B-AE83-835952588DB5.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	16.2 KB 
ID:	21433

Sorry to hear this Krissy. If one was dead and the other fading and later died then it could be a water problem. First fix and the best medicine is a large water change, this helps every time. Even if your tests didn't show anything too out of the ordinary, this is first to do. A nitrate spike might have affected them as it was a big change. What have you been feeding? and what water changing have you been doing?
    Why me ?