Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Discus fever

Wrigglers
    Hi Sabrina;
    I am glad that you are excited about your tank but trust me you need to slowdown your enthusiasm ,in my opinion you don't need to bring yet another factor ( seachem purigen ) in to the equation , your test shows that you are in the middle of your cycling ,you filter is already converting SOME ammonia to nitrite but still have some time to go ,do your self a favor and read one of the stickies on fishless cycling . As Steve said all you need is little bit of ammonia to keep your good bacteria happy .
    Good luck.

Hi Sayid,
    Thank you again for your reply, I am remaining clam now, I jumped the gun with adding the Cories I know. The reason I ordered the Seachem Purigen is I had got advice it was the best stuff to use in your filter, I can hold off adding it at this stage though. I added 2 capfuls of the Ammonia last night, I think that was way too much, I am about to test the tank now so I will report back with my results shortly.

EDIT:

KH 71.6
    GH 107.4
    PH 7.6
    Ammonia 2.0
    Nitrite 2.0
    Nitrate 10
    Last edited by Sabrina; Tue Aug 29, 2017 at 09:20 AM.

Wrigglers
    Hi Sabrina;
    The reason behind fishless cycling is that when you are cycling and have no fish in the tank you can add ammonia to feed your beneficial bacteria (BB) now if you add alittle too much it's not a big deal but you have made your life more difficult by adding the cories ,they make their own ammonia which perhaps not enough to keep your cycling happen fast enough and you adding ammonia on top that will make your ammonia level above the comfort level of your fish (or cories ) that is the reason behind fishless cycling .
    o.k you have a few option.
    1. remove your cories to a smaller tank like hospital tank e.g 20 liter which is easy to wc and do 50% wc every day and do that till your display tank cycles, in the mean time do a fishless cycling on your display tank
    2. continue what you are doing but reduce your ammonia dosing but keep it to minimum like o.5 ppm and be prepared that you might lose some cories as the result .
    Remember that the you need some ammonia to keep BB alive and happy but you need ideally zero ammonia for the health of your cories so if you test and ammonia is high like 2 ppm you need to do wc .
    You can help the situation buy keeping your ph less than 7 which we are lucky because our water is soft , i don't know why your water is 7.6 but i advise you to put a dritwood in the tank .
    Also go and get as much reading as you have time .
    Good luck

Wrigglers
    One other thing ,your KH and GH values are high for our water ,are you sure you are not adding any other chemicals to your water also your ph should be around 6.8 perhaps 6.9

Hi Sayid,

I removed the Cories days ago as Steve advised me too... So they are happy now

I havnt added any other chemicals to change PH GH KH levels, that's just what they are at the moment. The GH and KH were much higher where I used to live, so I thought the current test was quiet good actually.. And the PH took months to come down in the 6s at my old address..

Today I decorated the tank! I am so so excited at how it turned out. I think it looks amazing
    Thoughts?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	21199518_10212442625914063_4478791891463593550_o.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	21431

The Swords and Blue Strictas are live plants
    Here is a video guys!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DG_XxAh906k

Wrigglers
    I would not have believed if you hadn't told me ,they are very colourful and look artificial , at least they will help your tank reducing nitrate ,BTW i know that you like helmets and things but you need some space for your discus ha.ha.ha......

lol Sayid I know, I went over board with decorations!

I have made a decision not to get Discus right now, I'm going to get them in the future, I would really prefer to have a 6 foot tank rather than my 4 foot as such. So for now I will just have some small fish to keep me occupied

I will be keeping an eye out for a good 6 foot tank from now, I want a really nice looking tank not those standard looking ones.. So for now I'm pretty sure this project is on hold..

Thank you both for all the help so far, I will see you around the forums

Sabrina, you can still discuss your tank and fish here, the rules are about the same for most fish, it's just that Discus 'are' the Kings of the Aquarium, there are no other fish to beat them imo. But good luck whatever you choose.
    Why me ?

Hollowman, thank you
    The main reason for putting my discus project off besides the tank size was the cost of 5 discus in one hit, I just don't have the money right now to fork out for 5 at once, we know how expensive they are :'(
    It cost me more to start back up than I thought it would, to get the tank to where it is now cost $1000.. I'm not working so its hard for me to find the money right now.
    So for the moment, I have small fish in the tank, 0.25 ammonia 0.25 nitrite and 20 nitrate..