Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Discus fever

Just an Egg
    Hi Sabrina, so glad you decided to try again. I’ve been following your post and are keen to know how you went with your new tank. Have you got Discus in there now? Your plants looked absolutely amazing. Be great to see some updated pics. Hope all is going well ��

Hi Krissy!
    Lovely to see you here
    Well a lot has happened since I posted this thread back then. I didn't end up getting discus at that stage, I ended up doing a community tank with neon's, rams and cories. Which didn't end up going well, the tank turned into the bermuda triangle for a few weeks, my rams went missing. I finally found the culprit, it was the diving helmet ornament they were getting stuck in, which was fatal for the fish. So i ended up giving up fish keeping after that for awhile. But I'm now back keeping discus, i started the tank up again from scratch exactly 1 month ago now. Used Fluval Cycle and Prime to cycle the tank, it took 2 weeks. I had been visiting the local pet stores for weeks before, and at one of them there was this poor little discus all alone, i had to save him. So i brought him home, popped him in the tank with my 6 corydoras and that was that. As the weeks have gone on i have by chance been contacted by the woman that brought my old discus off me over 12 months ago, Red was a new father of 90 odd babies she tells me. So then the plans to buy some of the babies happened, 4 days ago i brought 2 of them, they are still white with no real colour except a tint on their fins. So i currently have 3 discus with plans to buy 2 more babies next week, that will make 5 for that tank. I was also offered by one of my friends her discus, there is 5 of them left now, some as big as my hand. She had a second hand 4 foot tank, so i brought that off her a couple of weeks ago, its currently having some repairs done to it but should be up and running in the next week. So i will be buying her discus in the next 2 weeks once the tank is cycled and ready to go. So as you can see alot is going down here in this little house hold in regards to fish, i might have chosen the hard road again but life is unpredictable. As much as i would have loved to buy the perfect discus from the perfect store or breeder costing me hundreds of dollars, it just didn't work out that way this time round again. Lets just hope i have better luck the second time around! Thank you for asking after me Krissy and sorry its such a long winded post!
    Following are some recent photos of the tank and my current discus..
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180224_132139.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	21439

Name:	20180225_143011.jpg 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	21440

Name:	20180225_142958.jpg 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	21441

Name:	27164417_10213650912080462_1323126663096751381_o.jpg 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	21442

looks great Sabrina
    Why me ?

Wrigglers
    Hi Sabrina ;
    Nice to see you back again ,by the look of it you are going to be a busy lady .

Hello Hollowman and Sayid!!

Thank you both for the replies. Yes very busy raising these babies, lots of water changes and feeding. Everything is going great so far, fingers crossed it stays that way!

Question: I have a HOB filter, how often do I need to change the Carbon cartridge please? Every 2-3 months?

Hi Sabrina,

I never had the need to use carbon so cant say for sure. Is there no information from the manufacturer?
    Why me ?

Wrigglers
    Hi Sabrina;
    As Steve mentioned you only use carbon if you want to get rid of some thing in the tank e.g medication ,antibiotic ,but in reality you don't need it ,also there is a danger with carbon if you don't replace it after 3 weeks ,if you forget the carbon will release all the toxin back in to the tank.
    My suggestion is to replace carbon with sponge or polyester floss and clean it once a day ,some time simple ways are much easier.

You are correct Sayid, ok for removing meds but no need for constant use, I am not sure why some manufacturers supply with new filters to be honest. And again correct about leeching back toxins, I for got that, if used for too long.
    Why me ?

Hi guys,
    Just finished a 35% water change, with your advice I changed the Carbon/Floss cartridge to a new Carbon/Floss cartridge as that's what I had handy, the pet store was closed and I couldn't get my hands on some white filter floss to go with the new ceramic noodles I had brought last week, to replace the carbon/floss cartridge all together. So, I will now wait 3 weeks and then replace the carbon/floss cartridge with ceramic noodles and white filter floss.. There is also a bio grid in the HOB filter which held some BB, and I'm running a jumbo sponge filter too, so I will be interested to see if I loose my cycle after replacing the new carbon/floss cartridge today.. I will let the water settle for 3 hours now and then test it, hopefully my Nitrate will have dropped a bit, it was reading 40ppm.

If there is one thing I remember about researching carbon 12 odd months ago, it was that once the carbon was at the end of its life (3 weeks, as sayid said) the carbon then just stops working at removing toxins, it does not leech them back into the water. I just looked it up, here is the info:

Does Carbon leach absorbed contaminants back into the water once it’s exhausted?
    Not under normal conditions, however there are a few exceptions. As long as your pH is within normal range for marine aquariums then the answer is no, carbon will not leach substances back into the water once it’s useful life has expired. Extreme shifts in pH to highly alkaline or acidic ranges would cause carbon to leach contaminants back into the aquarium water and at that point everything in the aquarium would cease to live. Therefore, carbon will not leach contaminants back into the aquarium.

Thank you both for your help on this note, I will report back with my water readings in a few hours

Hello again,
    My readings were as follows last night:
    PH 7.0
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 40
    KH 35.8
    GH 107.4
    I tested the nitrite again in the morning to double check I had not lost the cycle, it was zero again thankfully. There is still an issue with the nitrate being 40 though, I cant seem to get it to lower. I havnt been taking out more than 40% water during a water change, perhaps I need to do a 60% one and see if that helps. Here is a vid and some pics I took today..

Name:	20180304_070919.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	21443

Name:	20180304_071010.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	21444
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Swayaj-9IY8