Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Discus fever

@Hollowman
    After reading the fishless cycle a few times I have a question. The lady said to add plants air stones heater etc on day 2.. Considering it can take up to 6 weeks to cycle the tank, could I get away with not adding the heater on day 2? I wonder this because that's a long time to run a heater for no reason, or does it affect the bacteria if the water was cold and then weeks later once cycled I add the heater?

Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina View Post
    @Hollowman
    After reading the fishless cycle a few times I have a question. The lady said to add plants air stones heater etc on day 2.. Considering it can take up to 6 weeks to cycle the tank, could I get away with not adding the heater on day 2? I wonder this because that's a long time to run a heater for no reason, or does it affect the bacteria if the water was cold and then weeks later once cycled I add the heater?
    Sabrina, when I set up my filter tank I too did have a bit of a dilemma about this. As I remember I cycled without a heater for a few weeks. In the uk where I was living it was quite cold but the filter started to cycle anyway. As long as you are adding the ammonia solution every day, the cycle will start to show. When you start to think you are getting ready to add fish, then you can add a heater and gradually bring up to discus temperatures. Keep an eye on your nitrIte and nitrAte levels as at this point you should be adding ammonia and at the end of the day only show nitrAtes.

Maybe Sayid might be able to add to my thoughts, but I didn't have any problems by doing that way.
    Last edited by Hollowman; Mon Aug 14, 2017 at 11:18 PM.
    Why me ?

Thank you! That's great, I will follow that advice

Got the 2 foot hospital tank cleaned up with apple cider vinegar, looks brand new. Went into the pet store where I am getting the tank from and got together all the bits I'm going to need to start up. The tank is now coming home next week due to finances being delayed. Got on Ebay and ordered the master test kit, prime, sponge filter and air curtain.. Starting to get very excited lol

Wrigglers
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollowman View Post
    Sabrina, when I set up my filter tank I too did have a bit of a dilemma about this. As I remember I cycled without a heater for a few weeks. In the uk where I was living it was quite cold but the filter started to cycle anyway. As long as you are adding the ammonia solution every day, the cycle will start to show. When you start to think you are getting ready to add fish, then you can add a heater and gradually bring up to discus temperatures. Keep an eye on your nitrIte and nitrAte levels as at this point you should be adding ammonia and at the end of the day only show nitrAtes.

Maybe Sayid might be able to add to my thoughts, but I didn't have any problems by doing that way.
    +1
    I did a fishless cycling recently without heater with no problem, just start the heater 2 days before introduction of any fish ,good luck

Thank you

Sayid, I was planning to order my Discus from Sydney Discus World as I have done many google searches for Melbourne and cant find or don't know a reputable source there... Can I ask where you buy your Discus from in Melbourne? I would prefer to buy from Melbourne if I could as its closer to me, I'm only 1.5 hours north of Melbourne... If you could link me to a web site or telephone number I would be very grateful!

Just an Egg
    lots of great aquariums in Melbourne with great discus.try new life aquarium and pet,aquatico aquarium just to name a few.both have good quality discus but you must go when there new shipments are released or the best ones sell quickly.look on Facebook at both aquariums
    Last edited by discusriver; Wed Aug 16, 2017 at 04:49 AM.

Wrigglers
    Quote Originally Posted by discusriver View Post
    lots of great aquariums in Melbourne with great discus.try new life aquarium and pet,aquatico aquarium just to name a few.both have good quality discus but you must go when there new shipments are released or the best ones sell quickly.look on Facebook at both aquariums
    +1
    I have sent you PM.
    Sayid

Hi discusriver,
    Thank you so much for those, I just looked them up on FB, very nice! I will keep them noted down

Here is to new beginnings!
    Wont be starting this project for a couple of weeks yet due to a shortage of funds atm but its home now and its awesome!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20915519_10212378714916328_4731650044888423282_n.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	21422
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20992980_10212378715076332_7459055034072295522_n.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	21423

Lovely, can't wait to see you start again. Even no funds Sabrina, you can fill it up with a body of water and start your cycle already.
    Why me ?