Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Discus fever

Cool Discus fever

Hi guys!

Long time no see.. Very big hello to Hollowman and Sayid, if you guys are still here?

Today I put a tank on hold at my local pet store.. Its this one: http://www.aquaone.com.au/2015-04-16...tem/3159-56172
    It is a 4 foot, 182 liter (48 gallons) AquaOne Horizon fish tank. For those who didn't know, I had trouble where I was living and had to sell up my fish and everything 6 months ago.
    I have since moved town and am settled in a new home, and I'm happy again. I am getting back into my hobby fish keeping that I have missed so dearly. Of course I am interested
    in keeping Discus again, I am however frightened to take the leap into them again, after all the trouble I had the first time last year.. Though, I am of course more experienced now
    but that does not convince me enough. I lost a few Discus back then, which broke my heart, which is the only thing making me think twice.. I plan on picking that tank up next week,
    I am in no rush to stock it, going to take it slow and get things right. I plan on bare bottom, some fake silk plants (don't want pest snails from live plants), a ship wreck and perhaps
    some cool pieces of drift wood. It has a hang on the back filter 600 liters an hour flow rate, and a nice 25W LED T8 light, I will also add a jumbo sponge filter and round air stone and
    last but not least a Eheim 200W heater..
    Hm sounds perfect for discus lol.. Well maybe not the ship wreck :P
    Do you guys think I should have another try keeping Discus?

Hey Sabrina, good to see you again. Myself and Sayid are still here.

Sorry to hear about your move and fish, but that is a lovely tank and great for a few discus. My last show tank was an AquaOne, the build quality is great.
    If you are no hurry to stock, then take time to get your cycle done properly. Try a fishless cycle with ammonia, fish safe and you only need a test kit, no suffering little fish. I will try and find a link to the last time I did mine.

Good luck and welcome back fish friend.
    Why me ?

Link as promised,

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/sh...shless+cycling

Read Merrilyn's post as she explained it well. A fully mature tank can be reached in 6 weeks.

Good luck.
    Why me ?

Hey

Ooo thank you very much for the info on a fishless cycle, I will read up on it and learn what to do. Yes I am in no hurry to stock so this is a great idea!
    I am so excited to pick up the tank, I'm glad its a good build, it certainly looks great I'm very happy..
    Thank you again fish friend
    Glad you guys are still here, I'm sure I will need your help again!

Hi, I have read the fishless cycle post and I think I have an idea where to start, just one thing.. I don't know where to find liquid Ammonia? Or have I became confused, am I meant to use fish food as the ammonia?
    I just searched ebay for ammonia and only test kits and media came up..

Sabrina, here is a link to Bunnings which I expect is near you somewhere.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/search/p...directFrom=Any

You will need a multi test kit, which will be best anyway. Test for Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates.

Like this one. http://www.theaquariumshop.com.au/sh...r%20Test%20Kit
    Why me ?

Wrigglers
    Hi Sabrina,
    It's great to hear from you,i am glad that you decided to give a tropical fish another go ,your tanks look nice and practical and it's new which means you can start fresh , the fact that you are not in a hurry is a great news so you can take your time to get to know your tank from A - Z ,also time to cycle it properly and add things to it in your own time , about ammonia , i am sure BUNNINGS will have it if not any good hard wear shop even your local chemist warehouse will have it ,just remember it has to be pure i.e no detergent or perfume also when you shake it should not have any bubble in the bottle .
    BB tank is also a very wise decision ,i can see that you are going to enjoy this time .
    Good luck.

Hey guys,

Thanks for replies and links/advice.. I will look for the ammonia in those places next week, and I already have the API master test kit on my list of so many things I need again
    The tank was on a special price, $795 down too $450! So I am very happy about that. Hoping to pick it up next week along with many other things I need to start over again.

Question: Once the fishless cycle is complete and I am able to order/find my fish, can I add them all directly to the main tank? I will have a 2 foot Hospital tank on stand by, should
    I be Quarantine them in the hospital tank first? Its just a 2 foot tank is small, how could I jam 5 Discus into one of them at the same time?

Looking forward to trying the fishless cycle and getting back into the hobby!
    I will keep you all posted on updates as I go

Wrigglers
    Hi Sabrina;
    I don't think you need to quarantine the fish in the hospital tank ,you can put them in the big tank straight away since you have no fish in there already , having said that you will put extra load on your new filter so please look out for ammonia spike you might need to have a few water change extra till your filter media catches up ,no heavy feeding either for same reason ,i am sure other people will give you additional advice as well ,this is ideal time to start reading about how discus keeping and care as well.
    Take your time and enjoy the hobby .

Thank you Sayid
    I am working on researching everything all over again, I would like to get things right this time, at least have a better time with it than I did last time anyway.