Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wrigglers

gill fluke eradication

Hi every one ;
    The story is that i have had gill fluke at various degrees as long as long as i remember , well i put up with it and when it becomes too much i usually treat the tank with pp at the rate of 2mg/liter and it reduces the number and makes the fish breath better till next time,well this time i like to eradicate fluke if i can ( big big job ) !!!!!
    about 8 weeks ago i decided to do this using praziquantel so i treated the whole tank ( BB with a few plant pot ) 100 mg / 20 liter day 1, 2 , 3 and rest day 4,5 , 6, and 7 for 3 weeks , that means 9 treatment over 21 days to break the cycle of eggs and fluke both ,well i thought it has worked but i saw one act of flashing and now my fish at least 2 of them breath fast about 120 per minute .
    I know that Andrew Soh in his book mentions treating Q tank with pp 4 hours on day1 , 4 , 8 ,12 , 16 and rest in between in display tank ,i know that hollowman is very familiar with andrew' s work .
    Steve if you have any views regarding getting rid of gill fluke for good using pp please let me know especially the detail implementation of keeping the filter alive .i have 15 adult fish and 12 corys , q tank 80 liter , disp tank 200 l ,disp tank 500 l
    Please let me know what you think.
    Thanks
    Sayid

Hi Sayid,

I have done pp in the past and it does prove to be very effective at the levels you have quoted, haha, I also use Andrew's advice. The trouble is, is that it seems however many times you try to eradicate them they have a way of evading completely. I have however never been blighted with it really badly, I guess my water changes keep on top of it and bb tanks. 40-50% every second day.

For filters of course it depends on what type you are using Sayid. I primarily use Hughie Hung sponge filters. I have many in the tanksso can start up a new tank when ever I need. This is where I think the one fluke hides though. It is a battle that can't really be won, just managed in my opinion.
    Why me ?

Wrigglers
    Thanks for getting back so quickly .
    I think by memory ,andrews method was
    . put the fish in q tank with 2mg/l pp for4 hours in active form ( pink colour )
    . in the mean time nuke the main tank with 10mg/l pp with net ,tube ,accessories in the tank but minus the filter media.
    . clean the glass ,under the ledge of tank etc.
    .change 90% water with clean water add prime and salt 1 tspper 40 l
    .move the fish in to clean tank .
    . rest the fish with small feed till next treatment on day4.
    . repeat this for 5 treatment .
    How does this sound , i unfortunately don't have his book to refer back,

Sounds about right. I don't have my book to hand either as I am in the Philippines right now.

I can however let you k ow that Andrew has just put his first book on Amazon for digital download if that helps.
    Why me ?

Wrigglers
    Thanks Steve for getting back , i am going to see if i can get hold of a hard copy , BTW i found your photo with Andrew back in 2008 at a British discus show now i can put photo to the face , hope you enjoy your vacation .
    Sayid

Wow.. how did you find that? Lol
    Why me ?

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Hi sayid,

sorry to resurrect this old post, but i'm very interested in the process of eradicate fluke in a display tank and wonder if you've achieved this and in what way?(pp vs prazi?) because i'm in a very similar situation and have treated my 6ft tank afew times with prazi(very costly) which seems to work at time. but now 3 months later I can see more and more sign of flashing and scratching which is not good. I think they have returned again with enough population to start showing sign. =(

Regards
    George

Hi George,

What is your water change regime?
    Why me ?

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Hi Hollowman,

I have a drip system which currently drip about 380-400L per week and on top of that I perform weekly sand vac then refill with 150L aged water. but to manage water quality i use filter sock in my sump and change it every second day and i have a UV and purigen reactor(water chemistry is normally ammonia0, nitrite0, nitrate5-10 depends on how often i feed during that week). fish are healthy and eating like pig but every now and then there will be one or 2 that start to spit out food which i normally isolate them and use 36c heat treatment for 5 days which will fix the problem(I think that's caused by internal parasites). it's just the sign of flashing and scraping concerns me and make me feel like those nasty flukes are building up and ready to strike and the heat treatment doesn't stop the flashing/scratching.

btw, i'm also thinking of trying fish food mix in with prazi but i haven't seen any post doing it this way so i'm not sure if this is plausible or not. so may be you could offer some advice. I'm thinking to mix 400mg(prazi)/100gfood(still looking for the best way to mix these to make sure they are effective) then feed them 7days then repeat 3days a week for at least 6 rounds. this way it will kill any fluke that's in contact with fish and eventually will break their 2 weeks cycle, the advantage of doing it this way is we don't need to use too many prazi tables. because to treat 700L of water with prazi is very costly.

Regards
    George

Hi George,

Quite a set up you have there. Trying to get completely fluke free is a bit of a dream for me, no matter how hard you try, it is normally a case of keeping their levels down to a minimum and keeping the fish comfortable. I have used PP in the past which has worked well. The thing with PP is safety of the fish while dosing and keeping your filter alive. If you PP the tank and disconnect your filters, you will still have flukes in the filters ready to come out and find a host, PP your filters and then you have to start again with a new cycle. Using PP always wipe down the glass as they hold a lot of nasty parasites. Prazi in food is possible but can be released before it is eaten, or the fish might not like the taste and spit it out anyway.

Sorry not to be too much help, I just see it as a control thing and not eradication.

H
    Why me ?