Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Hi, I'm New Here!

Sick discus and Hexamita medication.

A week ago I got 5 large Alenquer Diskus from a friend who works long hours and cannot take care of his fish anymore. I place them in a quarantine 110 Liter tank. Their appetite seems to be ok but two of them showing sickness symptoms. One of them is very thin with darker color (almost black) and clamped fins (seems to be symptoms of Discus Plague). The other one normal body size (not as thin) but darker color not as dark as the other yet and no clamped fins yet but one eye is foggy.
    Three days ago I went to my Local Fish Store and I bought Hexamita for Discus. I did a 30 % water change then
    I administer three days dosage which finished yesterday. Today on the Fish with the Foggy eye I noticed two white spots on one side of the body which I do not remember being there.
    I did a 30 % water change and added some Hexamita drops to compensate for the water change.
    So, far their appetite has not changed. They are eating well two meals a day.
    Any help and/or suggestions you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated. I do not want to loose any of these beautiful Discus.
    Last edited by SiriOssi; Fri Apr 14, 2017 at 10:07 PM.

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Here are 2 pics of the first Sick fish one from each side:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Discus1-2.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	21381Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Diskus1-1.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	21382

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Here are 2 pics of the second sick fish one from each side: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Discus2-1.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	21383Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Discus2-2.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	17.4 KB 
ID:	21384

The first one looks painfully thin and stunted, if it were given to me I would cull. The second looks a little fatter and could take the medicine. Might be worth giving a salt dip to cleanse the outer of the fish. The white spots are probably Ich, so the salt and plenty of clean water will help.
    Why me ?

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Thanks for the reply Hollowman. Yes you are right the first one is painfully thin but still as active as the rest and eating just like them not isolating herself. Not sure of culling just yet
    For the second one can I use Sea Salt for the dip? I read somewhere that the Iodized Salt is recommended for the dip and then i read somewhere else that the Iodized Salt is bad and not to use so I am confused when it comes to the Iodized Salt. Or should I go out and buy Epsom Salt? Which one would you do?
    Is there instruction on this forum on how to do the dip like how much salt to use? I tried to search myself and I could not find any.
    Last edited by SiriOssi; Sun Apr 16, 2017 at 08:01 AM.

This is from Simply Discus,

Salt dip:

2 tablespoons per gallon water. ANY salt so long as there are no anti-clog additives. Iodised salt is safe, cooking salt is cheaper.

Mix in a clean bucket with water of the same temp or from the tank. Net fish and place into bucket. After 30 mins remove back to clean water, BUT if the fish rolls over before the 30 minutes is up then remove it straight away to clean water.

I normally give the tank a good clean through when doing this or put them into a newly setup tank, but not everyone has the tankage.

The dip can be repeated daily (even twice daily) if needed for as long as necessary (well easily 2 weeks).

It is typical to see the fish drop slime, I normally do a mini w/c an hour or so after to remove the slime if its visible.

Epsom salt is different to regular salt, it is used for internal purging so even in your case that an external salt dip would be good, you could also hit them with some Epsom too to help clear out and internal parasite
    Why me ?

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Thanks again Hallowman. I will do one right away.
    This is a newly cleaned tank about a week ago just before the Discus went in it was filled up with fresh new water. A couple of days later 30% water change then the medication was added in for 3 days. Then 30-40% water change. Yesterday I did 40-50% water change. Today I will do another water change. So,

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Ok both fish took a 30 minute sea salt or (Rock Salt) dip pretty well with no problem what so ever. I will repeat this daily or twice a day as suggested. Let's hope that they both get back to normal soon. I will continue with the daily water changes as well. I increased the temp in the Aquarium to 32 degrees C to help get rid of the Ich.
    I will put up some new pics as soon as I see any changes.
    Any other ideas or suggestions are welcome.

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Here is a picture of the second one after the Salt Dip his fins are already unclamped
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Baby.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	21385

Hi, I'm New Here!
    By the way I just noticed on one of the "healthy" Discus below the tail fin a little red pimple (see pic below). Has anyone seen anything like that? What is this and what can I do to take care of it?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Discus.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	21386