Wrigglers

swim bladder problem !!!

Hello every one;
    About 3 month ago i came down in the morning and found that both of my filters stopped operating due to prefilters being blocked ,all the fish were distressed near the top of the water ,my 5 years old blue turq was head down in the plant pot breathing the foul water of the plant pot , i deblocked the prefilters ,50% w/changed , came back fro work ,all the fish were o.k apart from the blue turq.

He has been head standing and eventually kind of drift in water with no particular direction and some tome lies on the floor ,but he is still eating and has no other sign of any infection i.e he has clear eyes ,no pop eye or fluid buildup or any lump in the body ,

I have treated him with epsom salt and later with API furan -2 but not very much happened .
    I know this is a difficult infection to treat but i can't get myself to put him down , i have metro ,minocycline ,nitrofurantoin available , has any body had experience with this problem ,please let me know .
    thanks
    Sayid

That's a real shame Sayid. Looks like you have covered the main treatments. But here is a link to Simply Discus where headstanding is described, it might help.

http://www.simplydiscus.com/library/...standing.shtml
    Why me ?

Wrigglers
    Thanks Steve for the reply ,i realize there is not a big chance of saving this fish but i just need to do every thing that i can , i see minocycline as my drug of choice but the problem i have is 1. i don't know the dosage ( i red some where 15 mg per gallon of water per day but i am not sure )
    2. i don' t know if it is soluble in water or alcohol.
    3. the minocycline i have is 5 years old.
    i have tried to find the above in internet but not successful, do you think you could help me with dosage etc.
    thanks Steve

I found this Sayid.

Directions for Maracyn- two : dose 20mg Minocycline per 10 gal on the first day. Second through 5th dose 10mg Minocyclin per 10 gal. repeat the 5 day treatment only once if needed.
    Why me ?

Wrigglers
    Thanks Steve for that ,i will let you know how i go .
    cheers
    sayid

Wrigglers
    Hi every one ;
    Well after 6 day treatment with minocycline i transferred him to the display tank ,there was no improvement ,he was lying on the bottom and regretfully i had to put him to sleep , this afternoon i cut him open to see how bad was the swim bladder ,the swim bladder had collapsed and almost decomposed ,i smelled it but there was no foul or anerobic smell which surprised me perhaps the antibiotic had got rid of the infection but there was nothing left , i don't know but it was not an experience i like to go through again., this is for reference for other hobbyist if they come across swim bladder , in h insight i might have had more success if i had treated with minocycline immediately.
    Sayid

Sad to hear, but interesting about what you found. Don't blame yourself Sayid, you did more than most would to fix the problem. I am sure your fish had a good life in your care, that's what matters.
    Why me ?

Wrigglers
    Thanks Steve