Hi, I'm New Here!

First discus tank

This is my first time keeping discus. I have had them for about a month now. They all seem to be doing good at the moment. I will breakdown all the specifications.

Tank
    20 gallon long barebottom
    Moving them into my 75 gallon as soon as they all reach 3 inches

Stock
    7 discus all about 1.2" to 1.75". I can't say exactly how much they have grown since I got them but they have grown considerably.
    5 assassin snails

Filtration
    API 30 Superclean
    some 10 gallon filter don't know the brand

Feeding
    3-5 times a day
    Frozen brine shrimp, frozen bloodworms, pellets flakes, occassional home made mix of beef/chicken

Water changes
    About 50% daily or every other day

Now my questions
    1.How do they look in terms of
    i.Health
    ii.Shape
    iii.Color

2. Is a 20 long okay? If so, how much longer will it be okay?

3. Filtration enough with my water changes?

4. What breed are they all? From my research, I've gathered that there are two blue diamond, 3 pigeon blood, 1 red turquoise, 1 red turquoise/pigeon blood mix. Close?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_9928.jpg   IMG_9929.jpg   IMG_9930.jpg   IMG_9931.jpg   IMG_9932.jpg  

Welcome to the forum.

Now my questions
    1.How do they look in terms of
    i.Health
    ii.Shape
    iii.Color

Form my experience you have a group of fish that should not have been sold. Sorry to say that, but people selling these should learn a bit more about fish. That said I am sure you like them, but in time you will understand why I said that.

You are doing the right thing by plenty of water changing, this will certainly help their health and give them a varied diet. The eyes do seem to be bulging from their heads, which leads me to think they are undernourished or have a worm infestation, you can use meds for worms.
    The shape as said is not great, to me they look stunted already. The Turq and PB in the first photo are the worst. The others, shape wise, are ok, but not the best. Good care and feeding will help.

The colour of all the fish is not good at all. All your PB's are heavily peppered (the fine black spots all over them) This will not change and can become worse depending on their environment. The Turq is very poor quality, to me a cull, I think you will understand this in time. The one you think is a BD is not, it is a cross of something of a Turq bloodline somewhere. BD's have no patterns in the fins.

I know you like your fish and as a group for learning I hope you never spent too much hard earned cash for them. Treat them well and get the best from them. If you can raise them to 5 to 6 inches you will have done well. Please look around the forum and see what quality discus look like for future reference. Try searching for 'discus in Singapore' to see photos of some quality fish.

Good luck
    Last edited by Hollowman; Sat Mar 04, 2017 at 02:33 AM.
    Why me ?

Just checking your location, you have many good suppliers around you who can post fish. Look up Kenny Cheung in San Francisco
    Why me ?

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Thanks for your honest opinion.
    Yeah I noticed they are all very peppered but I had hoped it goes away in time. guess not huh?
    I got the 6 (not the turq) for $65 and then the turq for $16. Does that sound too much? I knew while buying them that they aren't the best discus around but as you said, they seemed a good group for learning just how to keep discus. My intent is to raise them as best as I can for a year or so and then buy good quality discus from a breeder

These will be good for learning as you say. Discus are a bit more work but very rewarding. Once you get the hang of keeping them and a routine you will be fine.
    Why me ?