Hybrid View

Question Breeding tank to share sump filter? Would it work?

Just a question out of curiosity.

I have a 600L tank with ~10 adult discus; there are two confirmed pair now and one of them constantly lay eggs, recently the young male learn how to fertilize the eggs as they were laid. I didn't plan to breed them at first due to time limited and lack of experience, however, In the future I might.

Lead to my question today, as I have an oversize sump down below the main tank which is providing a bloody good filtration, can I share the sump with any breeding tank that I may set up? and What is the best way to share the sump between tank?

What kind of set up should I use? There is no space above the sump to place the small tank there so I will avoid overflow for it, would a small power head will help, and how do I set it up? I know breeders use sponge filter but since water in the main tank have stable PH always and good temperature, so can I share the water?

My PH will stay between 6.6 to 6.8 most of the time and I do 30% wc weekly, also I have a small aquaponic straberries that doing great vs nitrate, they grow faster than my discus lol.

I have never attempt to breed discus before, but this is a part of the hobby so would be waste if not try

Hi Harry, I think its wonderful that you are going to breed. I cant help with your question but i hope someone else here can. Please keep me in mind for some of your babies, especially if they are from my favorite fish of yours

Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina View Post
    Hi Harry, I think its wonderful that you are going to breed. I cant help with your question but i hope someone else here can. Please keep me in mind for some of your babies, especially if they are from my favorite fish of yours
    lol Sabri na, just when I'm think when you going to show up .. ahahaha.
    and YES, it is your favorite cutie I'm talking about, she is a machine, ate everything i threw at her, and lay eggs every 3 days -.-, except for this time, where there is a male that does his stuff

Lol Harry, im not stalking you i promise! I cant believe she is still laying eggs, that is amazing. Best of luck Harry