Is algae good for Discus? I bought some live plants this past summer for my tank and when some started dying I took them out but I think spores were left. The water conditions are ok - within acceptable parameters and my fish don't seem affected at all. I've taken my discus out of this tank and put them in a spare breeding tank, just in case. The algae is a deep green, and I can wipe it off the side of the tank with a paper towel. Looking at it, it appears slightly stringy. I have taken out all my plants and the rocks that have it on them, scrubbed off the algae and boiled everything. The algae has the odor of a freshwater lake (which to me isn't unpleasant). But its not about me, its about my babies - the discus.
I've had these fish for about 1 1/2 years. I've racked my brain trying to think if I've done anything different. There are only 2 things that I've done differently - and both of them happened this past summer. 1st - the live plants and 2nd - I fed them new (to my use) frozen foods called Emerald Entre and Spirulina Brine Shrimp, both of which I was told by the pet store rep would be ok for them (and yes the discus like it).
I had the thought that the algae could be representative of discus habitat conditions, but haven't had this problem come up before. I could use some advice.
Has anyone had this kind of a problem, what did you do, did you leave the discus in that particular tank, any remedies (besides not putting live plants in there again)?

thank you for your knowledge and time