Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hi, I'm New Here!
    thanks Sabrina hope you are right and he will take the beautiful potential he had.

Sayid, I was investigating, because the earthworm has parasites as you said. I had the doubt which parasite exactly may affect discus. Do you have some papers or info?. What I investigated is that the most common parasite is monocystis. I searched info how this may affect to a fish, and there is no info so far. Which ones affect actually to the fish and how?. It would be great to have this info, for analysis. I am not saying I am right, I am saying that so far so good, but the day I find something weird, I will remove it from the diet. But I need more info now. In any case, it is hard to me to think in this as a risk, as too many time has passed. As I understand sickness, if the parasite would really affect to the animal, they should be all affected, no exception, unless the fish defenses do their job. If they do, then it is ok from my point of view, as the real cause of desease may be other, and not the food by itself, it may be a mix of things.

In any case, more info is totally welcome!

thanks
    Last edited by donethur; Wed Nov 23, 2016 at 06:08 PM.

Wrigglers
    i am not against variety of food ,i was worried with the variety of live foods having said that i respect your sense of adventure and wish you luck and please keep us informed on the out come.
    sayid

Hi, I'm New Here!
    thanks sayid. BTW the pic of the discus are taken after 4 months of feeding. At least three things improved specifically with the earthworm:

-natural colors are better
    -growth rate increased
    -mood and behavior improved a lot, they never were so alive and predators. I have seen even small ones claiming hierarchy.

I will keep you posted. And thanks for your comments, actually they helped a lot, as probably I wont change the diet with the info I have so far (not enough), but I learnt a lot investigating after your comment, as I never had that in mind. That kind of interventions help me a lot, always. A different point of view is always welcome.

Your reply to my suggestion of Krill was very dismissive, if you come asking for help please do not doubt our experience. It seems you already know what you are doing although as warned by Sayid, you are playing with fire feeding so many live foods.

But they are your fish. I would not do what you do and use proven foods and methods.
    Why me ?

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollowman View Post
    Your reply to my suggestion of Krill was very dismissive, if you come asking for help please do not doubt our experience. It seems you already know what you are doing although as warned by Sayid, you are playing with fire feeding so many live foods.

But they are your fish. I would not do what you do and use proven foods and methods.

I would like to list you the points that would explain why I do this:

-First, I dont have to follow all the recommendations literally!, imagine I would do that after all my doubts, the possibility of wrong recommendations is high, i JUST CANNOT DO THAT. There is a lot of myths in this hobbie, and I am not in a scientific forum, anybody may issue an opinion.

-Second, my doubt is not how to colorate it again, my doubt is what I can expect of an albino red without carotyll, because I am not considering changing the diet, at least for now.

-Krill is no available in my country as live food, only in flakes. I prefer live food.

-Actually I didnt dismissed it. I even asked you something as I dont want to affect my yellow discus (red enhancer= bad for AMG, a reasonable enough doubt, right?)

-feeding with earthworm is a proved method used in fish farming, a lot of reasearch has been made and is available.

-discus also eat different varieties of live food in their natural habitat

-show me one example where live food affected please, variety of live food as well (I already searched both topics, but nothing found). Also, a lot of papers indicate that they are a superb food, high qualtity, and they fulfil all the nutritional needs of the fish.

-There are several other forums where a lot of people have been successful with earthworms, including breeders. When you have so many cases like those, there is enough data to at least having doubts that it really affects.

-I have this routine since a lot of time and no issues at all, I also have my own experience to add to this discussion too.

Therefore, there is no reasonable amount of information to conclude that they may affect discus, actually all experiences indicate that they are good, there no single experience with bad results.

I cannot believe everything I read just because other person says it, I need to take my own decisions, this may be helpful for analysis only, the conclusión should be mine, otherwise it is like being a zombie who follows rules, nothing else. Understanding to me is the key, not blind acceptation. People in this hobbie uses to share particular experiences as big truth, but they are only particular experiences. A lot of variables may change the results, so not because somebody was successful, it means he is doing the right thing, or not because one failed, it means he did everything correctly. Thats why, the best is to conclude your own things. The amount of people with success is an important information, as you could "filter" the particular cases with the sum up of cases.

Hope my position is clear.
    Last edited by donethur; Fri Nov 25, 2016 at 02:19 PM.

Your position is very clear, you already know everything. Why not ask on another forum... oh you did already. Btw, Krill are normally in frozen form and can be mixed into your beefheart mix. Live cows don't fit in my tank.

As you specified in Simply Discus that you didn't here that you strip and clean your earthworms, maybe post all facts before shooting down people who are trying to help you.

Have I made my position clear.

Oh, one more thing, I have been a member of SD for 11 years
    Last edited by Hollowman; Sat Nov 26, 2016 at 11:35 AM.
    Why me ?

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollowman View Post
    Your position is very clear, you already know everything. Why not ask on another forum... oh you did already. Btw, Krill are normally in frozen form and can be mixed into your beefheart mix. Live cows don't fit in my tank.

As you specified in Simply Discus that you didn't here that you strip and clean your earthworms, maybe post all facts before shooting down people who are trying to help you.

Have I made my position clear.

Oh, one more thing, I have been a member of SD for 11 years

Hey man, it is just not nice anymore...

-I never asked you how to colorate my fish nor how to feed my fish, thats something that appeared ramdomly. You say "if you request help dont doubt of our experience...blablabla" but I never requested help about that. Why should I follow all you say?. My doubt was really specific and nobody answered it yet, except for the blue one.

-I do not know everything, but I like to have backup of my actions. So far= more cases of success, zero not sucess.

-whats the problem that I ask in SD?, and why youi even say it here?. I participate in more than one forum, hope thats ok. Nonetheless, I think I am leaving this one, I cannot believe the level is so low that the moderator has an ego issue right now because I didnt put enough attention (acording with him) to his recommendation. So the level here is: follow rules, dont question anything, do what we say and see the light. Just like a church. I havent been disrespectful, your position is like obligating me to follow you. I dont care your résumé, to me, if you recommend red enhancer for an AMG, and if krill provides it, it will turn my AMG orange so that statement would be wrong, and it wont be less wrong if you have 100 years in the hobbie, it is what it is.

-Again, krill is normally in frozen form, IN YOUR COUNTRY. not here.

-I already said that I cut and I wash earthworms, you need to read more carefully. Just extracted from the page 1 of this thread: "Well, first I cut them all in smaller parts. Then I wash them A LOT to remove all the earth inside. This + chlorine in the tap water, I think represents a safe enough food for them."

-Again, never requested help regarding feeding.

So bad you took this position, you are moderator and you represent the spirit of this forum. A forum with good level would accept all point of views and the discussion should be based in experience and theory (not saying that people here have bad level, it is what you expect). Both should be analyzed, all the variables, and at the end the truth comes out. But here you only want blind acceptation of all what you say ("ok, I give to the discus krill", but lets imagine I do this, my AMG turns orange then, are you going to return me USD 350 which is the cost it had?. Never said why it wont affect to the AMG.

Ok bye.
    Last edited by donethur; Sat Nov 26, 2016 at 12:58 PM.

Hi, I'm New Here!
    BTW in SD they all say the earthworm is clean enough. Didnt mention it because I am not sure if I can post links to other forums here. Why that experience is not valid and only yours?

As I said, you must know more than me. Enjoy your fish
    Why me ?