Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Red face VIDEO: Red Eagle discus lay eggs for the first time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTo-...ature=youtu.be

I have her for just under a week, didn't expect her to do this, and even though my red melon show some interest in her, but they are not pair yet. He end up ate all her eggs, which almost made me cry.
    I know the eggs won't hatch, but very sad still.
    What would I do with her now, I dont think i have time to breed discus, but this is so tempting. I have 4 of them right now, 1 is under house arrest under the sump due to bad behavior but I ordered 10 more on the way, hope to find a mate for her.
    Btw, this is a newly established tank with used media, havent finish with the hardscape and plan, but I am very excited. However, I am not an experienced breeder so I may not attempt to, please advice what should I do in this situation .

House arrest lol Harry! Your made me laugh
    I love your discus and im very jealous Harry... I would be sad too, id want babies!

Wrigglers
    Hi Harry ;
    There are ways to discourage the pair to breed but it should be done very cautiously otherwise you can kill your fish ,you can increase your total hardness GH very gradually and that will do it , but i would let them to do what they want to do and be merry .

Quote Originally Posted by sayid View Post
    Hi Harry ;
    There are ways to discourage the pair to breed but it should be done very cautiously otherwise you can kill your fish ,you can increase your total hardness GH very gradually and that will do it , but i would let them to do what they want to do and be merry .
    Thank you, I think I will add a few more soon, then I will let them do what they want lol , when I got the hand of it, they will be going to 8-10ft tank

Hi Harry,
    How are they getting on? I am still the green eyed monster over your fish lol Is there still one under house arrest? Or is it back in with the others now?

Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina View Post
    Hi Harry,
    How are they getting on? I am still the green eyed monster over your fish lol Is there still one under house arrest? Or is it back in with the others now?
    Hi Sabrina, they are still fine, the green eyed monster doing great and keep bullying his tank mates, well, there are 8 tank mates for him to bully now, he can have his pick @_@.
    I have been fighting the nitrite war for the last 24 hours, new tank still, my friend keep bombarding me with new and young discus @_@ ( he gave me 5x 3inch melon 2 days ago) and I have spike the next days right when I though the tank fully cycled , i'm so worry about the new and smaller discus now, my reading is ammo 0.10 and nitrite about .5 after 2 x 30% wc, cant do bigger as I only have 200L water storage. I treat it with seachem safe.
    They doesn't seem to care for now, but i'm sweating and cut off their food for now. If you know what is going to happen next, suggest please.
    Hope i will make it out of this initial spike.

Hi Harry,
    Oh a Nitrite spike, this can harm your discus Harry so you really need to do water changes every day until it is gone. Read the instructions on the Seachem Safe and see if you can up the dose to help fight it. I had the same thing happen to me when my tank was new, my fish made it through it though so dont be too concerned just do water changes as often as you can and that will get rid of it. I use Prime, which says you can up the dose to 5 times normal dose in a nitrite emergency. So if you have Prime too, read the label and see what you can do ok? If you up the dose you will need to wait until the morning to test the water again and see if it helped, make sure you test it before you feed them anything....

I also have Safe, i just read the bottle and it says you can use 4 times normal amount in an nitrite emergency, please read it again yourself to double check. But be careful with safe, it is highly concentrated!

Safe is fairly new compare to Prime, but last a lot longer, I didnt go as far as 4 times, but did 3 last night and not as effective. May be i will have to go 4 tonight. I did 25% wc early in the morning before work, they look at me with those eyes as I didnt feed them, feeling guilty. Will do another 25% after work. Sh!t, my boss coming!

Ok sounds good Harry, let us know how the test goes in the morning