Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry Tank infested with snails

Hi all, my discus tank is infested with PEST snails! I have just moved my fish out and taken everything out of the tank except the water so far. I cant remember what advice i was given to get rid of these PESTS. Please can you help me with ideas on how to now get rid of them? They are in the sand, on the glass and up in the filter! Im going to tear this tank apart until i get every last one of them. My driftwood is drying out on the sink due to having hundreds of snail eggs on them. Please help

This is the tank right now..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15032248_10209787217650516_2818587597622947227_n.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	21275

Near impossible to get rid of, but you could use a strong solution of potassium permanganate to kill everything in your tank now. It has the effect of taking all the oxygen out of the water killing anything living. The problem is that this will kill your filter too, surevthere will be eggs in there also.

Use boiling water over the wood or just remove all and clean with boiling water and start again. They are a pest and cause irritating problems.
    Why me ?

Just an Egg
    Oh no Sabrina that's terrible. I don't know if this will help but I've read that if you get a clean jar, put a small lettuce leaf in it and fill it with aquarium water and sink to to the bottom the snails will be attracted to it and you can remove them. The jar needs to be left in there for a number of hours. Apparently you have to repeat the process but if you've taken all your discus out I imagine a number of jars might work faster. Some sites say to blanch the lettuce leaf first but I don't know if this is a good idea as the lettuce would decay faster and pollute yr water. Hopefully someone on the forum can confirm this is a good solution or offer a better one. Cheers

Hi guys, thank you very much for the help. Im so impatient that i ran to the pet store and they gave me a bottle of snail rid to use in the tank. I have to take out the rest of the carbon and then dose the whole tank with this stuff. Then i have to soak the plants and driftwood in this stuff too. Its Blue Planet Snail Rid.. I have to treat it today and then again in 3 days time. So my poor discus are going to be cramped up in the 100 liter tank for a week. After treatment i will do a full clean and total water change in the main tank. Fingers crossed this works guys!!

This is my 100 liter tank that the discus and everything is crammed into at the moment. I hope nothing goes wrong!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14962595_10209789462226629_2841330525150318357_n.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	21276

Wrigglers
    Sabrina ;
    You are right ,you are very impatient , it probably would have been much easier ,less costly and more freindly towards your fish if you had taken the time to have a plan of action towards elimination of your snail ,for start snails are not absolutely detrimental to your fish they are more of pain in the *** and they are ugly ,but you have had them in your sand for a long time ,as steve advised you correctly you cant pick them up and get rid of them even if you do you miss one or two and in a week you are back to square one ,it was me who told you that you can get rid of them using praziquantel ,but snail rid is fine ,the reason that you have to repeat in 3 days time probably is to get rid of their eggs , i don't think you need to breakdown your tank but if it makes you feel better go ahead , if you have snail in one tank you probably have it in you other tank as well because you swap plants and drift wood etc between tanks .
    As Steve advised you have to think of good bacteria in your filter ,i know it is lot of work but if it has to be done ,it has to be done .
    You just mentioned CARBON in your tank ,do you know that if you use carbon in your tank or filter ,you need to change it every 2 - 3 weeks and if you don't the carbon will release all those nasties back in to your tank and make your fish sick .
    hope this helps .
    sayid

Hi Sayid, thank you for your comments! Sorry im so impatient, its a flaw i have i cant help. The fish are doing ok at the moment, but its going to be a long week and a half for them before they are back to normal in their own tank. I have no idea what this is going to do to my cycle, i guess a test after all has been complete will tell the tail. I knew the carbon expired but didnt think it was every 2-3 weeks! Im glad i have removed it all now for that reason, perhaps that might have been why my fish were getting sick. I have plenty of matured ceramic noodles to replace the carbon in the filter so all good there.. And yes i will have to do the other tank too now, even though i did clean the plants etc before adding them to it. It seems i do everything at 100 miles and hour with best intentions but bad results. Hopefully with fingers crossed things will work out ok after all this. Thanks again Sayid

Wrigglers
    Just a reminder not to feed excessively till your filter catches up with the good bacteria ,regarding carbon i have found them to be more trouble than they are worth ,people put them in tanks to get rid of the nasties but since there is no sure way of knowing when the carbon is saturated they forget about it and the next they know the carbon has released the nasties back into the water and the fish are sick ,BTW i am not saying your fish died purely because of carbon but no one knows .
    sayid

I will be careful with feeding thank you. When the treatment has finished and i empty the tank i will be taking all the old sand out and discarding it, i am tossing up going bear bottom but that will mean i have to paint the outside bottom of the tank for reflection reasons, or i will just replace the sand with new sand. I am leaning towards new sand, perhaps black this time. I will be washing the filter media and ceramic noodles in a bucket of tank water from the other tank before returning it to the hood for use, im worried im going to loose my cycle in this process but it needs to be done. I have stability on hand so im not too concerned if i do loose it, but its a shame to start again. I am also soaking the driftwood in the snail rid too, do you think that will be ok or should i buy new driftwood too?