Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is this??

Sayid, he is gasping for air, im so upset. i dont know what to do. I think the salt freaked him out beacuse he was worse before the water change, but still bad now. I dont want to loose another discus, i wont forgive myself. I dont have a spare pump for air stone tonight, i will have to buy one tomorrow if he makes it, though i dont know beacuse he looks bad with his breathing. He has a small white poop hanging out
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14993571_10209746559754094_813704191440100909_n.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	21265Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15036559_10209746559434086_6044310746569037077_n.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	21266

I quickly just stole a big air stone out of one of my main tanks, he now has lots of bubbles in the hospital..

Wrigglers
    i think you are going through a mini cycle ,do a 50% w/c put i TBS of salt per 40 liter of the new water ,put triple dose of prime ,that will take care of nitrite poisoning ,also if you have ammonia problem ,together with air stone they might work , keep yor finger crossed.
    sayid

Hi Sayid, its 2.30am here and i woke up worried about my young discus. I just tested the water. 7.4 high range ph, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 0-5.0 nitrate. Very little nitrate so im going to do a 50% water change, dose with prime and stability and sit and wait and see if he slows breathing down. I know you said put salt in the water change but im terrified that is what made him breath so rapidly so im going to skip the salt this water change and see if he improves at all. Perhaps once i get him breathing better i will do the salt thing. I might also add stress guard to try and clam him down he seems very stressed out. thank you so much for the help with this, please dont think im not listening about the salt, its just i think it spiked his gasping for air and that frightened me alot.

Sabrina, the salt will help any flukes to detach from it's gills and skin, thus making him not breathe so heavy. It's like us trying to breathe with someone sat on our chest, or with a bit of asthma. DOn't be scared, you have good advice.
    Why me ?

Hi Steve, i just did a 50% water change, dosed prime, stability and stress guard. Can i still add salt after those? Here he is just 1 minute after water change Steve and Sayid...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX-xTCAAGk4

Yes, you can add salt after, just make sure it is diluted properly. He looks ok, breathing a little fast, but that could be due to the water change and being a bit stressed. But he is breathing from both sides equally so thats ok. Just monitor and try and feed a little in the morning.
    Why me ?

Wrigglers
    just continue what you doing ,he is not getting any worst.

Hi guys, there is something wrong with him this morning. He is floating up the top of the water, when he tries to swim down he just floats back up. He does not look happy and is floating in the corners of the tank, his not eating and there is no poop. His breathing is still faster than it should be. I just added some salt and will monitor him for the rest of the day.

I am wondering if this is something to do with the swim bladder after that large thing leaving its body. Does not look good, but monitor
    Why me ?