Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Just an Egg
    Live plants Sayid, got rid of all my artificial plants. Looking to eventually have a few more live but taking things slowly atm. Have just received some Dr Tim's waste-away so hopefully over next couple of weeks the tank will look even cleaner

Wrigglers
    Krissy; I would strongly warn you against using any bacterial based product in discus tank ,these products are not proven in discus environment ,if you want to go that way seachem which is much much more reputable and respected company has got a similar product called pristine but even then i would not introduce bacteria in to my discus tank.you might end up with diseases that are incurable .
    sayid

Just an Egg
    Thanks Sayid, I haven't used the product as yet and following your advice don't think I will. The product warning is concerning in itself, ie use half dose initially in case of an oxygen and ammonia drop. My main concern and reason I discussed this product with my discus supplier is the sludge that I can see but can't get to in my sump. I'm considering emptying the sump, removing it and giving it a good clean out as I've tried using a thin hose and suctioning in the areas I can fit the hose but it doesn't get rid of the sludge that well, plus that first mouthful tastes 'aargh' when trying to get the suction going each time. Have you tips on cleaning the sump area that might help me?

Wrigglers
    Hi krissy ,get the big potion of the sludge removed but i would not worried about sump being squicky clean .you need to have some good bacteria in there. use only tank water to clean .
    good luck

Just an Egg
    Thanks Sayid, did clean sump quiet well yesterday with tank water, maybe too well as my nitrates measured at 20 ppm this morning. I noticed that you use prime on another thread. I've taken a bucket of water out of the sump and added a bucket with 5 ml of prime, hoping this will help with the nitrate level and prime won't affect the discus; everything I've read indicates it should be ok to do this?

Wrigglers
    you are correct ,prime reduces nitrate level but should not be used as a tool to reduce nitrate routinely only on emergencies ,w/c is the way to reduce nitrate.i would reduce food for next 3 days till your good bacteria recovers.
    good luck
    sayid