Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Wrigglers

Possible cause of discus fatality

Hi every one;
    I have a marlbro red in hospital tank who looks and behaves like a healthy fish but refuses to eat, which brings me to this point ,which disease has given you the most case of fatality , in my case apart from one case of swim bladder infection 99% of my losses have been due to hex .
    In my experience if a fish does not eat more than 10 days the outcome is not good ,i read that people cure it with ease using metronidazole 10 -15 mg per liter for 12 days but i have rarely been successful in treating hex .
    I was interested to know what is the number one cause of your discus fatality.
    regards
    Sayid

I think the problem with Hex is that by the time most people recognise it, it is already too late. If you know your fish, you can treat sooner, giving your fish a fighting chance.
    With Hex, noticing the fish is not eating or maybe distancing itself from the others, noticing white poo is key. I have lost a few from this early on in my keeping, probably because I bought rubbish fish from my lfs and then going back to them for their advice and treating with meds that helped them on their way.
    I guess raising fry I have lost more. Two week syndrome has got me a couple of times.
    Why me ?

Wrigglers
    I have had better luck with Azoo anti endoparasite and kusuri than metro. i have had fish recover fully after several weeks of not eating.

My biggest problems have been very resistant gill bacterial infections from Asian imports and head down problems after worming. After years of keeping and breeding I am convinced the head down issue is linked to worming in acidic water.

I did suffer from 2 week syndrome until I starting always using prazi at 2 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by mattgoanna View Post

I did suffer from 2 week syndrome until I starting always using prazi at 2 weeks.
    I also linked it to over feeding, constipation
    Why me ?

Wrigglers
    That is also a distinct possibility. I have definitely had problems with decapuslated brine shrimp eggs causing constipation in baby discus

I used to hatch brine shrimp to feed. You see their little bellies turn orange and fat, which is ok, but I think even at around the two week mark, the competition to eat is more distinct and they eat to bursting point, this is where I think trouble starts for me. Difficult to restrict feeding when they look so hungry lol
    Why me ?

I think my problem is inexperience mostly. My first little discus died from bulling and my lack of knowledge in treatments. The second one died of what i believe was hex, but could also have been stress. And the last little one was bullied and starved himself. The bully, whom i have had since the start, has now been permanently removed from the main tank and is in isolation with a few cory catfish and mini mollies, I will never return her to the main tank after what she has done.

Wrigglers
    Thanks guys for your input ,when i started this thread i was thinking mostly on fatality of adult or nearly adult discus ,when you deal with very young discus it is completely different scenario i.e 2 weeks syndrome ,as the matter of interest i am still persisting with my discus who refuses to eat.
    Sayid

Wrigglers
    Sayid
    If you get to the point where you are getting nowhere, increase the temperature to 36. Just make sure you have no plants or other fish in the tank. The other thing that is good for hex is 3 percent Epsom salts in food. Given the fish is not eating, I would throw some Epsom salts in the water anyway. If nothing else it will flush the gut of the fish. I use about 3 tablespoons per 100 litres.

Wrigglers
    Here are some pictures