Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Bullied Discus

Haha yes they are beautiful and worth it! You will have to show us some photos of your new ones Ken! Seem everyone is getting new ones except me

Just an Egg
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina View Post
    Haha yes they are beautiful and worth it! You will have to show us some photos of your new ones Ken! Seem everyone is getting new ones except me
    Hi Sabrina,

Well I hear the Discus hobby/addiction is one where you never 'stop getting new ones' I'm hoping this order is my last for awhile. Since I have to import them I go through this big rigamarole each time with the import permit application, USDA health cert, freight forwarder, and biting my fingernails up until the cargo plane arrives and I get the fish. I'm hoping I end up with a nice group here. I will definitely post the new pics.

When I had my eight smaller Discus in a 55gal I quickly realized I wanted a bigger tank with more mature Discus if I was going to enjoy the hobby.

Just an Egg
    Hi Ken,
    I have to agree, the bigger of the small ones bullies the others. But when i just had my 2 big ones by themselves they didn't bully each other. I think if mine were all the same size i would be good to go but they vary in size so much is the problem. And one of them is in jail in the 2 foot tank by herself with two little mini mollies as inmates, she is a tank terrorist and can not be housed with other discus, she was caught red handed bulling 2 of the smaller discus to the brink of death, i had to put them to sleep because of her. So now because of all this bulling i have 3 tanks with discus in them sorted into size in the hope they will survive. My 2 bigger ones in the 4 foot, 2 smaller ones in the 100 liter tank and Tango the bully in a 2 foot until i decide what i will do with her. I dont want to sell her so she becomes someone esles problem, i feel sorry for her but i cant risk her killing another discus. Perhaps i will place her in the 4 foot with the 2 big ones and see what happens at some stage in the future. Right now i am just setting up the 4 foot again as i had a snail out break in it, so hopefully everything will be ok from here.
    Sabrina,

I have had some recent success with my slow/picky eaters that weren't eating much. I heard about AL's Freeze Dried Black Worms being extremely popular so I finally ordered some last week. I'd previously tried California freeze dried black worms for a while with no success (but my fish never get sick of Beef Heart...) so I was a bit skeptical. But I received AL's FDBW last week Thursday and they immediately loved it, especially my more picky eaters.

My method: I still drop a couple of cubes of Beef Heart first for good eaters, then I stick two cubes of Al's FDBW to opposite ends of the tank. You've got to soak these in water for about ten seconds first before then they stick really well to the tank wall.

My Altum Floras, which are smaller than my 'mad eaters', are now getting bellies full of these FDBW's, and eating more beef heart too. My smaller Red Ruby is now eating much more and is being more active! This really is amazing. AL's FDBWs seemed to perk his interest in food and now he is actively eating and looks like a healthy fish for the first time.

I definitely recommend AL's FDBWs, they are apparently much better than California FDBWs.
    Last edited by ken31cayman; Mon Nov 21, 2016 at 02:19 PM.

Hi Ken,
    Cant wait to see more pics of your fish. I havnt heard of that AL blood worms so i will have to look into it! Im glad to hear your little one is eating well once again, i have a small discus that i dont think is eating well, it never comes up for feeding time, its shy. I will have to work on getting it to come eat something before it gets sick. I currently feed mine Australian freeze dried black worms, beef heart, frozen foods and another discus specific food. My 2 big ones are going great and believe it or not i just put the big bully back in with them last night as i felt so sorry for her being alone. Time will tell if she learnt her lesson and shes leaves the other 2 big ones alone.... Fingers crossed!!

Wrigglers
    Hi Ken,
    Cant wait to see more pics of your fish. I havnt heard of that AL blood worms so i will have to look into it! Im glad to hear your little one is eating well once again, i have a small discus that i dont think is eating well, it never comes up for feeding time, its shy. I will have to work on getting it to come eat something before it gets sick. I currently feed mine Australian freeze dried black worms, beef heart, frozen foods and another discus specific food. My 2 big ones are going great and believe it or not i just put the big bully back in with them last night as i felt so sorry for her being alone. Time will tell if she learnt her lesson and shes leaves the other 2 big ones alone.... Fingers crossed!!
    AL frozen dried black worm FDBW is the same as australian FDBW and it's an excellent food for fussy eaters.
    sayid

Just an Egg
    Hi Ken,
    Hi Sabrina,

AL's FDBWs are blackworms and, as Sayid pointed out, the same as Austrailian FD Black Worms.

I receive my new five tomorrow, did a post with pics on Simply a few days ago. I'll copy/paste that post in my main post here right now http://www.discusforums.com/forum/sh...-for-my-Discus

Kenny

Thanks Ken i went to the link and seen them! Good luck with the new ones and keep us posted ok