Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bullied Discus

Thank u again. I have taken Tango the bully out of the tank yet again, she is being ridiculous. This video is of her, the orange pidgeon blood chasing the whole tank, its never ending.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa91MeUGENk

Wrigglers
    Sorry for your loss Sabrina, my advice is do not replace him on impulse and as Steve said put all your effort in fattening up the rest of the discus also don't hate Tango ,it not his fault he is discus not a human they just go through their pecking order ,you have one less fish so theoretically the quality of your water should change for better ,as a matter of interest was that an aluminium plant that i saw in your tank ,it is in remarkable condition since it is a cold water plant .
    Any way pat your self on the back ,you tried your best.
    Sayid

Thank u Sayid, Im not going to replace him, well i sort of did already, i placed my neighbors large Angel fish in the tank, all is well though. The tank is in harmony without Tango in there, i feel like crying, if only i took her out weeks ago i might still have little blue. Yes that is an aluminum plant, its super, i didnt know it was a cold water plant though, it may not live long then, only had it a week. I dont know what to do with Tango, she is in the QT tank, in the naughty corner. To be honest, i dont think i will ever put her back in the main tank im so upset about it all.

Not sure thatputting in the Angel was a good idea, with no QT ... too late now, but watch out for infection.
    Why me ?

The Angel is my neighbors Steve, he has had her for 4-5 months, she has no illnesses.. I have always looked after her since he got her so i know the fish well.

Just an Egg
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina View Post
    Thank you Steve, im really sad i lost another one, poor little thing. Makes you want to give it up for good. Thank you both for the help though
    Sabrina,

So sorry to hear about this. You really did all that could be done.

Regarding giving up, I know the feeling. This past weekend my solid blue scorpion of the pair that was getting ready to mate jumped out of a crack in the top lid I left open after feeding the night before. Found him dried up on the floor. I was literally shocked the next morning; all my fish are so peaceful they never dart or 'jump'. And how did he find one small crack in the lid of my 180gal to jump out? It's unreal.

And my yellow checkboard died the next day. I've only witnessed him eat maybe 4 bites in the time since I got my fish and new tank three weeks ago. He was slowly deteriorating over this time but I felt all I could do is keep providing a pristine environment & conditions and good food.

My smaller Red Ruby is still not eating that much and is still rather sluggish. There is very little bullying in my tank, they've all gotten along really well and let the less active ones eat by their sides all the time.

The good news is that my two Altum Floras have livened up and are eating more. My larger Red Ruby, patterned Blue Scorpion, and White Butterfly are still doing really good, eating a lot, and have grown slightly in the short time I've had them.

In my very limited experience so far with Discus I'm starting to get the feeling that in each 'group' of Discus you get, not all of them will thrive. I think it might be more common that some in each group don't make it.

I get my second batch of five 5" discus next week so hopefully these will all be healthy and I will end up with a nice group of flourishing, beautiful Discus.
    Last edited by ken31cayman; Thu Nov 17, 2016 at 01:56 PM.

Hi Ken,

You sound like you have had a bit of trouble like me. I cant believe your discus jumped out of that crack! I think you are right though, in every group there is going to be one that gets sick or has problems, its not our fault its just nature taking its course. In my case it was inexperience mostly and still is but i am trying very hard to do the right things. I am most certainly going to invest in bigger size discus in the future, i dont ever want juvies again, although i still have a few to try and raise up. Thank you for your post and good luck with your fish hun

Just an Egg
    Hi Sabrina,

I think the larger Discus are more mature, mine still chase/bully each other sometimes but not nearly as much as the first group of eight 2.5" ones I had in my 55gal. Sold these the same day I got my current group.

My current group (what's left of them) seem to be getting pretty strong, all except for my smaller Red Ruby as I mentioned above. He's eating a little here and there and semi-hangs with the group but during feedings he hides at first before meekly poking around to look for what food is left.

Hi Ken,
    I have to agree, the bigger of the small ones bullies the others. But when i just had my 2 big ones by themselves they didn't bully each other. I think if mine were all the same size i would be good to go but they vary in size so much is the problem. And one of them is in jail in the 2 foot tank by herself with two little mini mollies as inmates, she is a tank terrorist and can not be housed with other discus, she was caught red handed bulling 2 of the smaller discus to the brink of death, i had to put them to sleep because of her. So now because of all this bulling i have 3 tanks with discus in them sorted into size in the hope they will survive. My 2 bigger ones in the 4 foot, 2 smaller ones in the 100 liter tank and Tango the bully in a 2 foot until i decide what i will do with her. I dont want to sell her so she becomes someone esles problem, i feel sorry for her but i cant risk her killing another discus. Perhaps i will place her in the 4 foot with the 2 big ones and see what happens at some stage in the future. Right now i am just setting up the 4 foot again as i had a snail out break in it, so hopefully everything will be ok from here.

Just an Egg
    Sabrina,
    I can see the difficulty in getting them all the same size, which helps tremendously. I tried the first time, but even when succesful some have growth spurts and after that the bigger ones continue to get bigger and the gap increases. I'm experiencing that with my fish now.

Oh well, I'll see what happens when I receive the five more next week. I ordered:
    2 Mercury Blue Angels 5"-6"
    1 Golden San Merah 4.5"-5"
    1 Galaxy Turquoise 4.5"-5"
    1 Red Dragon 5"-6"

You know, I used to keep SA cichlids, piranhas, north american fish (bass, perch, crappie) for years, but that was many years ago. Just started the hobby again now and jumped straight to Discus I've seen several people on different forums say Discus are not hard to keep once you get the hang of it. But compared to most other hobby fish Discus keeping is labor-intensive and requires much more expertise. By this definition yes they are hard to keep. It's a steep learning curve involved. Are they beautiful and worth it all? Oh yes