Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bullied Discus

Hi Sayid,
    Thank you for the suggestions. It looks like little blue is dying, he is face down in the sand in the QT tank, i just gave him a salt bath, its made no difference to him really. His been bullied so badly that he didnt eat for i dont know how long. Im so upset my other discus did this, i feel like i failed him

Tank looked good in the first photo with the items in, and as good without. Now the big bully has gone, the next in line has become dominant. Take him out and the next will do the same. Now the tank is rearranged you could put them all back together or do what sayid suggested. As I said before bullying is tough to watch. It does sometimes work itself out, sometimes not.
    Why me ?

Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina View Post
    Hi Sayid,
    Thank you for the suggestions. It looks like little blue is dying, he is face down in the sand in the QT tank, i just gave him a salt bath, its made no difference to him really. His been bullied so badly that he didnt eat for i dont know how long. Im so upset my other discus did this, i feel like i failed him
    Sad to hear, when a fish gets bullied, discus can succumb to drastic ill health, this is caused by lack or eating and the loss of apitite allows disease and internal parasites to take over, it is a spiral that only goes one way. I think if you try and medicate it might do more harm than good and if he is really thin across the eyes/forehead then it is probably too late already. Can you get a photo of him Sabrina? For now, clean water and raise the temp to see if that encourages him to want to eat.
    Why me ?

Hi Steve,
    I did place the bully back in the main tank now that i have changed it all around. They all seem to be doing ok now, still a little chasing but not like it was.
    On little blue, he is terribly thin, i didn't notice it was so bad. I dont want to take a photo of him, he looks terrible
    Im going to try to force feed him, if i can..

If you think he is not going to make it, do you know how to use clove oil?
    Why me ?

Wrigglers
    Sabrina ; don't blame your self ,you have done the best you could do .unfortunately raising discus is unpredictable in the best of time even if you do every thing by the book .
    sayid

Yes Steve, i have used clove oil before to put them to sleep. But last time i used it, it burnt the fishes skin, well at least thats what it looked like, so now im scared to use it. But he is suffering so i have to do something. I tried force feeding him with tweezers, it was hopeless, he kept spitting it out and it was so difficult to get it in his mouth. I will have to put him to sleep, i cant watch it anymore.
    Thank you Sayid, but i have lost a few now, its so hard with such small discus. Im never buying a small one again.

Update: He is asleep forever now. RIP Little Blue
    Last edited by Sabrina; Wed Oct 26, 2016 at 11:08 AM.

Sorry to hear that Sabrina. Like Sayid said, you did your best
    Why me ?

Thank you Steve, im really sad i lost another one, poor little thing. Makes you want to give it up for good. Thank you both for the help though

No, don't give up. Fatten up the ones you have left, once they get bigger and you prove to yourself you can do it that's when the fun begins.
    Why me ?