Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hi, I'm New Here!
    From what you have said so far Dick, you are going to kill the fish in no time. You seem to know nothing of the conditions for discus or how to keep fish in the first place or the Nitrogen Cycle. You do not recognize that it is not the water that cycles, but the filter needs to be mature BEFORE you add fish to a tank. Without water changes to remove the ammonia and having a mature filter no wonder the fish are reacting badly.

Water changes each day, 50% until your filter is mature, and don't even think of breeding as right now, you don't know what you are doing.
    I have 15 aquariums which 3 are both 8ft breeding turtles and axololts which have been doing for 15 years since I was a little boy and you have the decency to tell someone you know nothing. Shame on you prick. I have never had a death in my 15 years of experience.
    Last edited by Jason; Mon Oct 24, 2016 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Removing foul language.

Hi, I'm New Here!
    And thank you so much for the advice everyone else, Matt thank-you I have added tonnes of good bacteria and the ammonia levels are going down which is great almost at a 0 point (around 0.10Ppm)

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Photos here , they are very active right now which is great and noticed the female seems much less stressed with the bars gone

Thank you for such a kind reply. I will treat it with the contempt it deserves. I will reiterate that you know nothing of the nitrogen cycle or the correct conditions to keep discus (or any other fish as I see it) I am sure you realise that Turtles and Axolotls are not actually fish.

There are no shortcuts when keeping discus, as suggested by Matt. If you want to continue to keep fish in poor conditions and throw insults at those who have been there and done it, then carry on. The end result is sick and dead fish. Promoting the way you keep your fish to other new forum members who want to learn the correct way does not help.

This forum has a long a diverse history, so try and keep your foul language off the forum. Young children also like to learn from the 'experienced' forum members so your posts are unacceptable.
    Last edited by Hollowman; Mon Oct 24, 2016 at 09:35 PM.
    Why me ?

Wrigglers
    Dick;
    There is no need to use a language like this ,in fact if there has to be a person who should be ashamed of him self is YOU ,the people on this forum are not getting paid to give advice ,they give up their time at weekend and nights to give advice to people who often are desperate with their fish ,they don't have to put up with this sort of language nor they are there to massage your ego ,they give their advice in good fate .
    sayid

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Sayid, telling someone they know nothing and that they are going to kill their fish is shame worthy. Unlike you, I don't take discus poo from anyone .

Then please explain where anyone has ever bred discus in a non cycled system and succeeded? Unless they are doing 100% water changes every day. If you know the nitrogen cycle, which is basic first knowledge when keeping an aquarium, then you know that you are doing it wrong.

I am sorry that you can't handle straight talking (without profanity) but we try and advise good methods and practices to all people. It is not about putting you down, it's about waking you up. You will kill the fish and you will not succeed breeding healthy fish.
    Why me ?

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Everyone but hollow, seeing on how useless his info has been.... I have proceeded to do 33% water changes everyday. Anything else you'd all recommend I do ? Oh and fyi hollow. Previous owner did exactly same as me and successfully spawned them over 25 times in 2 yrs .

Hi Dick,
    Im glad you are getting a heater for them, it will help a lot with keep stable water conditions. And the sponge filter is also a good idea, they go well with discus. Water changes are good, what water conditioner are you using with water changes? Seachem Prime is highly recommended, and will help with keeping your ammonia down too. You can buy it on ebay for cheaper than in pet stores. Try to forget what the previous owner did and concentrate on what you are doing, he had the discus for years and they are only new to you so they will be different for you. Hollowmans advice is good, i think you just got off on the wrong foot with him and sometimes more experienced Discus keepers are a bit harsh on new owners without meaning to be, they just care about the fish is all..

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Hi there yes I got a new heater now 100w heat is stable 30C and my tap conditioner I use is Prime something