Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hi, I'm New Here!
    Update

They started eating, have them black worms and both of them are eating them right now. This us really good. They haven't shown any stress bars for pass 4 days.heat is consistent at 30C. Ammonia has dropped from 0.50 to 0.005ish and still decreasing. Guess water changes made Angie difference to their behavior. Will keep updating, is there anything else I need to do?

Dick, that is good news that they have started eating. The water changes will work wonders for your fish, please forget the last owners advice, because here, like Sabrina said, we are passionate and the fish and their health is what matters.

Normally, a sponge filter will take several weeks to grow the nitrifying bacteria so don't squeeze the sponges too hard if you feel you need to clean them, just an exterior rinse is enough. Once seeded, you will notice the ammonia is handled by the sponges and there will be a stable condition.

Going back to the last owner, even if he had the fish breeding, how many top quality fish did he raise to adults? The problem is, that all over the world people find their discus getting frisky and people will try to raise young. But it is very difficult to do. With poor conditions baby fish get disease, get stunted and the ones that do survive and get moved on are generally in poor health and mis-shaped. Like you see in your local fish shop. Even here in the U.K. my lfs sells culls for £25+ each. People just don't know they are culls or stunted.

Now that you are doing decent water changes, you will start to see your fish relax, eat and be happy, this is the goal. Large water changes do make discus frisky and they might start shaking at each other and lay eggs. For now, I would just enjoy getting them eating and fat and if they do anything else, just watch and enjoy them. I would love to see some photos of the fish too if you can post some.

H
    Why me ?