Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hi, I'm New Here!

Are my discus getting ready to breed?

Hi there, I've had these discus confirmed breeded pair for around 2 weeks and I've noticed in the last 4 days gheyve been slot more active and shaking a lot, also noticed ghost antenna like fins on the bottom they shake GSM very fast when they see each over rarely . The female eats rarely and the male eats more often.

Tests are ,

Ph 6.8
    Ammonia 0.25
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 20

I'm aware that ammonia needs to drop to 0, I have added good bacteria to help lower it as this aquarium was setup 2 weeks ago with fresh new water.

Temperature goes from 26C at night (cold nights can't afford another heater) to 30C during day. Most times its a stable 29C.

The blue diamond (fem) is 17cm and the male snakeskin lava eruption is 20cm . They both swim and look like they're playing around with each over as the previous owner had a very similar setup to mine and was very successful on breeding them (over 180 eggs per 2 weeks)

I don't do water changes frequently as they get extremely stressed when I go remotely near the water. They lay flat and look like they're praying to me to not kill then ahaha.

Any other details needed to know if they will successful breed please let me know sorry my English isn't amazing

Attached images are my fish hiding and swimming around, as well as the food I feed them. (IL add images soon when they aren't freaked out , the male went to get her out of her hidey hole lol)

Hi Dick,
    Welcome to the forums! Im not a breeder but i would suggest not having a heater to keep a stable temp they wont breed for you. Im pretty sure the eggs need a stable heat to hatch but i might be wrong. It sounds like they have had a fright at water changes if they are scared of them. Just do small water changes like 20-30% so as not to stress them out so much.

Wrigglers
    Hi Dick;
    Welcome to the forum, i don't want to alarm you but there is no way that you can cycle a tank in 2 weeks and the fact that you have .25 ammonia is telling you that your tank is not cycled ,the fish are shy and stressed because of ammonia so may i suggest to you that you water change for 2 weeks 50% once or twice EVERY DAY so your filter system get chance to cycle and you get rid of ammonia in the mean time reduce your feeding by half to reduce the pressure on the filter system, i would forget about breeding for the time being and concentrate on the welbeing of your fish ,may i suggest to you to read the discus for beginners section in this forum and let us know how you go .good luck.
    sayid

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Hi there, discovered that my problem actually isnt anything to do with water changes or all that for the ammonmia.. I did a test on my tap water. It is 0.45Ish PPM. So my girlfriend was right about my water tasting like shit, so to counteract this I've added in some Stress Zyme to add Good bacteria to fend off the ammonia in the water, which may or may not make a difference and also added these stones ina bag (starts with z) which absorb tonnes of ammonia. If this doesnt work, then a local pet store is willing to sell me some of their aquarium water instead of dumping it.

Thank you and Sabrina, I have a new heater on the way for inside the aquarium so this is only temporary.

Wrigglers
    where do you live ?

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Today checked my ammonia, was yellow read 0ppm ammonia. All good now for ammonia

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Discus still acting the same so must be them mating or something or playing

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Also got my self a sponge filter with an air pump so babies don't get ducked in is this all good news guys ?

From what you have said so far Dick, you are going to kill the fish in no time. You seem to know nothing of the conditions for discus or how to keep fish in the first place or the Nitrogen Cycle. You do not recognize that it is not the water that cycles, but the filter needs to be mature BEFORE you add fish to a tank. Without water changes to remove the ammonia and having a mature filter no wonder the fish are reacting badly.

Water changes each day, 50% until your filter is mature, and don't even think of breeding as right now, you don't know what you are doing.
    Why me ?

Wrigglers
    Hi Dick
    It sounds like your fish are looking to breed and so that is good. The challenge for you is that (as pointed out by the others) your ammonia and nitrite are likely to spike quickly until you establish sufficient bacteria to deal with the waste. I recommend that you purchase some saechem stability as this will introduce bacteria while making sure the ammonia and nitrite don't become toxic. I know that you are on a limited budget, but this fish will cost a lot to replace, so the stability will be a good investment.
    Do a lot of reading on keeping and breeding discus and don't be disheartened by negative responses. Most of us have taken some short cuts and anyone who has kept discus for a long time has made mistakes. I hope your fish do well and go on to breed.