Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Just an Egg
    Offer it live black worm. any fish that refuses this is sick indeed. If you want to raise these fish to anywhere near a decent size, put them in a bare bottom tank.

Quote Originally Posted by angel101 View Post
    Offer it live black worm. any fish that refuses this is sick indeed. If you want to raise these fish to anywhere near a decent size, put them in a bare bottom tank.
    Definitely agree
    Why me ?

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Thanks again all for your thoughts .. on the topic of fresh food, are live blackworms safe to feed discus ie potential for spread of parasites etc? and, bare bottom tanks - what are the theories of this & in particular for having smaller discus? tia

Wrigglers
    Any live food has the potential to carry parasites ,but having said that mal's black worm from beechworth is well known and respected by many discus breeders .
    http://www.blackworms.com.au/ .
    The above link will help you , regarding BB tank if you have a tank let say 150 l to 250 l will do the job ,the rules are the same i.e 40 l per adult discus , lots of variation in food ,often and in small portions and your fish will thank you for it .
    good luck

The theory behind BB tank raising is that you can keep water quality extremely high. Normally, while raising discus you need large frequent water changes which mimics natural conditions in the Amazon. With a low biological load in the water it helps the fish grow instead of fighting off parasites and infections. When you can see uneaten food and faeces in a BB tank setup, you will see how much rubbish the fish actually produce. For me BB is the way to go. If you have a display tank, you can still have BB and decorate with wood, rock or potted plants, but the trick is keeping it clean and lots of big water changes.

This was one of my setups, all BB for raising discus

Last edited by Hollowman; Thu Sep 29, 2016 at 09:31 AM.
    Why me ?