Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Raising the temperature will make them happier, being too cold will allow parasites and illness to come on far quicker. Keeping them to a normal 83-84 is a minimum really. It will not make them more aggressive but will make them more active, and make them have a better appetite and fend off illness.

Fish need space and I think keeping the smaller group in a restrictive tank probably caused the tension and bullying. Yes, it is horrible to see and affects all the fish, there are a few things you can do to try and avoid aggression but in the end if you take the bully out, the next in line becomes the boss. Sub adults like you have are normally mature enough to get on with each other, again, the right temperature helps too.

hth
    Why me ?

Just an Egg
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollowman View Post
    Raising the temperature will make them happier, being too cold will allow parasites and illness to come on far quicker. Keeping them to a normal 83-84 is a minimum really. It will not make them more aggressive but will make them more active, and make them have a better appetite and fend off illness.

Fish need space and I think keeping the smaller group in a restrictive tank probably caused the tension and bullying. Yes, it is horrible to see and affects all the fish, there are a few things you can do to try and avoid aggression but in the end if you take the bully out, the next in line becomes the boss. Sub adults like you have are normally mature enough to get on with each other, again, the right temperature helps too.

hth
    Thanks for the info, I've learned a great deal in the 2 months since I've been keeping Discus but I lack the experience. I used to keep mostly south american cichlids, etc., for years, but I can honestly say Discus are a whole new ballgame. I think few new Discus owners realize this at first, I know I didn't.

Thanks again,
    Kenny

Two really good books to get are from Andrew Soh, 'The Naked Truth' is his first book, followed by 'Discus - Problems and Solutions' If you can find them you won't need anything else, he has pretty much covered it. Also he is a personal buddy of mine, so I can always get an answer to a difficult question.
    Why me ?

Wrigglers
    Hi Kenny ;
    Blue scorpion is my favorite discus ,you guys are lucky where you have access to American retailers of discus ,they have variety and cheaper prices than Australia ,any way congrats on a lovely tank and good looking fish and if you got some baby scorpion discus please send it to me in here LOL, good luck.
    Sayid

Just an Egg
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollowman View Post
    Two really good books to get are from Andrew Soh, 'The Naked Truth' is his first book, followed by 'Discus - Problems and Solutions' If you can find them you won't need anything else, he has pretty much covered it. Also he is a personal buddy of mine, so I can always get an answer to a difficult question.
    Thank you Hollowman, I will take a look at these books. I did watch that 'how to keep Discus' video from Al Sabetta, and this was really good. In my limited time with Discus I've seen conflicting information and advice, so it was nice to finally have information I could feel confident about using.

Just an Egg
    Quote Originally Posted by sayid View Post
    Hi Kenny ;
    Blue scorpion is my favorite discus ,you guys are lucky where you have access to American retailers of discus ,they have variety and cheaper prices than Australia ,any way congrats on a lovely tank and good looking fish and if you got some baby scorpion discus please send it to me in here LOL, good luck.
    Sayid
    Wow I'm not sure a beginner like myself is up to that task... but I do have a second tank - 55 gallon, which I know is not optimal for breeding purposes, but I may just give it a go I guess it will also depend on how my other Discus are doing as I'm still at the stage where I'm still watching everything carefully and learning.

That would be cool, I'll let you know if I get any little ones

Question: if my scorpions are a pair and do mate, how long do they remain a pair? For example, would they then spawn again every 2 months, or every year...?
    Last edited by ken31cayman; Wed Nov 09, 2016 at 01:31 PM.

Al Sabetta, is also a font of knowledge.
    Why me ?

Wrigglers
    After wriggler finish with mum and that or eaten by other fish in community tank or transferred to a growing tank the pair don,t waist much time spawning, i have not got personal experience in this section and Steve or Matt would be able to elaborate more.

They can spawn again after two weeks sometimes.
    Why me ?

Just an Egg
    Quote Originally Posted by sayid View Post
    After wriggler finish with mum and that or eaten by other fish in community tank or transferred to a growing tank the pair don,t waist much time spawning, i have not got personal experience in this section and Steve or Matt would be able to elaborate more.
    The pair continue to pose next to each other with heads tilted downwards and shimmying, though not nearly as much today, and I don't see them cleaning the piece of wood they were hanging around anymore. I guess I'll continue to watch them.