Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Hi Ken, looks amazing. Your tank is super and the fish are stunning! Such nice colors and loving that driftwood, well done

Looks sweet, the wood is lovely too. Nice setup. Let's hope you have a pair of BS's then the fun really begins
    Why me ?

Just an Egg
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina View Post
    Hi Ken, looks amazing. Your tank is super and the fish are stunning! Such nice colors and loving that driftwood, well done
    Hi Sabrina

Thanks, unfortunately 2 fish in the order had a rough journey, hung on for a few days but both eventually died leaving me with 8. The breeder took responsibility due to type of packing and credited me these two. So I ordered 5 more fish which will reach me on 24-Nov:
    2 Mercury Blue Angels
    1 Red Dragon
    1 Galaxy Turquois
    1 Golden San Merah

I'll then have 13 Discus and may sell 1 or 2 eventually that aren't thriving in my tank, so I hope to have 11-12 Discus in the tank as a final number.

Kenny

Just an Egg
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollowman View Post
    Looks sweet, the wood is lovely too. Nice setup. Let's hope you have a pair of BS's then the fun really begins
    Thanks Hollowman,

Last 2 days my two blue scorpions have been hanging out together alot by one particular spot of driftwood and shimmying together quite often. They aren't being aggressive (yet) towards the others, but I'm a little worried. I'm not prepared if they do mate. I know I can just let nature take it's course in the tank if they spawn, but its the aggression that I'm afraid will upset the tank. Any ideas?
    I keep my temp at 82F
    PH: 7.4
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrate: 10
    Ammonia: 0
    WC: 25% x 5 days, 60% x 2 days.

Kenny

Oh sorry to hear that Ken, its so devastating when they dont make it. Glad the owner refunded you too. Thats lots of discus Ken, i only have 6 and its a handful for me and i have lost a few being new to discus. Thank goodness for forums like these in my situation, having so much trouble and being able to get help is great. I wish you the best with these beautiful fish you have, and 13 is an unlucky number, you better sell 1 lol Loved the photos, please send more when your new stock arrive

Just an Egg
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina View Post
    Oh sorry to hear that Ken, its so devastating when they dont make it. Glad the owner refunded you too. Thats lots of discus Ken, i only have 6 and its a handful for me and i have lost a few being new to discus. Thank goodness for forums like these in my situation, having so much trouble and being able to get help is great. I wish you the best with these beautiful fish you have, and 13 is an unlucky number, you better sell 1 lol Loved the photos, please send more when your new stock arrive
    #13 you're right I hadn't thought of that! I will send more photos after the next group is here and all are settled.

Hi Ken,

In a community tanks you will find that 'if' the two scorpions do pair and lay eggs then the chances of having either any eggs or wrigglers left will be slim to zero. It does sound like you have a pair if they are shimmying together. If you can get good full side on photos of them both I can try and give my opinion on the sexes of them.
    It's a shame you had a couple arrive in a bad way, but good on your supplier to bear responsibility, I will look forward to seeing the new ones when you get them.
    Good luck
    Why me ?

Just an Egg
    Hi Ken,

In a community tanks you will find that 'if' the two scorpions do pair and lay eggs then the chances of having either any eggs or wrigglers left will be slim to zero. It does sound like you have a pair if they are shimmying together. If you can get good full side on photos of them both I can try and give my opinion on the sexes of them.
    It's a shame you had a couple arrive in a bad way, but good on your supplier to bear responsibility, I will look forward to seeing the new ones when you get them.
    Good luck
    Hi Hollowman:

I've attached pics of the two - one is 'patterned' the other is 'solid blue', sorry don't have a better pic of the solid. What I'm really concerned about is the agression toward the other fish if they mate. Note that they are both 5" so I assume their dorsal fins haven't fully matured yet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Patterned BS 3-Nov-2016.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	21272

Name:	2-Assorted 3-Nov-16 resized.jpg 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	21273

Name:	Solid Blue Scorpion.jpg 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	21274

Kenny

I wouldn't worry about aggression, they will only try and fend off the fish that get too close and soon return to tend the eggs, fanning them with their fins to keep water flow over them and keep them clean. The parents can also start eating their own eggs should they get too anxious, but don't worry, it's a natural reaction.
    As for male or female, from the photos it's tough.. although I will guess at the solid being the male (for now lol) Wait to see which one lays eggs.

One other thing I notice is your temperature (for me) seems a little cool. I would turn up to 83 - 84 as a minimum. It will keep their metabolism higher and keep them more active and happy.
    Why me ?

Just an Egg
    I wouldn't worry about aggression, they will only try and fend off the fish that get too close and soon return to tend the eggs, fanning them with their fins to keep water flow over them and keep them clean. The parents can also start eating their own eggs should they get too anxious, but don't worry, it's a natural reaction.
    As for male or female, from the photos it's tough.. although I will guess at the solid being the male (for now lol) Wait to see which one lays eggs.

One other thing I notice is your temperature (for me) seems a little cool. I would turn up to 83 - 84 as a minimum. It will keep their metabolism higher and keep them more active and happy.
    Thanks for letting me know. I read a post where a spawning pair kept all the other fish in the tank corners, but maybe this was in a comparatively smaller tank.

Would raising the temp to 84 possibly cause them to become more aggressive?

I've been thankful that all my Discus get along really well compared to my first group of six (sold these) which I had in a 55 gallon. In that group one discus would continually chase the others and also keep them from eating. This rotated a couple of times where the bully changed to a different fish. These Discus were smaller though (2.5" - 3") so maybe they're more aggressive at the smaller size?

Kenny