Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red face So I have stared! Teach me well guys

It has been a long and exiting journey when I did the research on discuss and I finally decide to pull the trigger.
    I build my own custom tank 120x45x60cm, about 320L with drilled overflow and sump filter system. I am plan to keep it bb or maybe with some ceramic tile as flooring, white background. The only decoration may be some driftwood to reduce PH and moss over them.
    Experience:

Well, prior to my research, my knowledge with discus is like "wow, those fish look great, what are those?". meaning zero. Good point is I had some exotic fish before such as blood Arowana and rays, but I heard discus is on another level of princesses, some of the discussion in this forum actually scare me a lot and almost turn down the plan.

I'm ordering 10 x 8cm red discuses from a welknown local fish store, I think they should be red melon/ marlboro. I cant tell the different but I like them red.

Given the tank size and fish size, please give me advice how to keep them.
    1. How much water change do I need? Minimum? I know there are no excuse when it come to w/c, but I'm too busy to do daily w/c at the moment so please give me the right idea, I hope weekly 30% or biweekly 50% is acceptable as the tank will be big enough for 10 small fish.
    2. At this time of age, are the fish going to be as sensitive as they were juvenile?
    3. how much feeding? what is the best to start with?
    4. I have 1x eheim 300w and 1x frural 150W, would they be enough to keep these baby warm?
    5. is the tank too big for their size? I hope the water flow from the return tube wouldnot be too strong

Thanks guy

Tank size is fine for such fish. But in my opinion they are still juvenile and will require good water changes to get the best from them. Discus are quite messy and do pooh a lot, so bare bottom is a good suggestion. But you will need to do fair water changes 40%, and at least twice weekly. If they come from good stock, the last thing you want to do is stunt them now. Remember to remove uneaten food about an hour after feeding and keep things clean. I don't like keeping plecos with discus but Sterbai are great as a clean up crew.
    You are right about the flow of water back into the tank as discus don't like to be in a 'flow' but i your tank you wont have too much of an issue. I generally had an Eheim 'hook' tube return in my home tank, directed down. You will see also by putting it in different locations will push all the uneaten food and rubbish to certain areas of the tank.

Photos when they arrive will be nice to see
    Why me ?

1. Water changes are very important for Discus health, 2 times a week or at least 1x 40% change.
    2. No i dont think adults are as sensitive as the juvenile as in needing to be fed more times a day and more water changes. But i would still
    treat them with the up most care of course.
    3. I feed my Discus 2 times a day, maybe 3 if they beg me. They have a variety of foods. Pellets, frozen, freeze dried and flakes, and they also eat the
    granules i feed the Cory catfish too.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14100339_10209033075637437_6253521157482359655_n.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	77.9 KB 
ID:	21189
    4. I think those heaters will be fine, as long as the temp range is 27-30c
    5. Thats a great sized tank for them! And i dont think they enjoy water flow so much but you can always slow it down

Thanks guy,
    My new discus tank is hold up at post due to weather... I dont believe them .
    So my fishes is waiting for me at the fish store (, was staring at them for hours yesterday. Cant wait!

Yay, this is the first view of my tank. Not much yet, I haven't have time to tie the plants onto driftwood or finishing the hardscape. My plan is to have 10 of those discuses, but since the tank is bigger now, I may go upto 15-20 of these. They are Raffer and Red face melon, around 5 inches. Need to save some money @_@

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3577.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	21278Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3579.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	30.1 KB 
ID:	21279Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3580.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	21280Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3581.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	21281Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3582.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	21282

Wrigglers
    Welcome Harry to the world of discus ;
    Your tank look amazing and the fish look healthy , is your light pinkish ? i would not be in a hurry to add fish so soon trust me it ends up in tears. tell us more about your tank ,it's dimension,your cleaning regim, your w/c ,what you feed them and how often,where you live and what kind of water you have , how many fish you have currently ? that is enough question for now .enjoy your experience.
    Sayid

Hi Harry! Wow what awesome fish you have, the second photo that discus is stunning! Is he missing some head fins though? I like your tank, it looks spacious and deep. I love these photos, i just want to hug your discus they are so beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina View Post
    Hi Harry! Wow what awesome fish you have, the second photo that discus is stunning! Is he missing some head fins though? I like your tank, it looks spacious and deep. I love these photos, i just want to hug your discus they are so beautiful
    Thank you! Yes, he is my favorite so far. He lost a small piece of his fin before I purchased him, but who care, thanks for that I got him really cheap as noone wanted him . He is a 5.5" red eagle, perfect color no peppering and he WILL eyeballing me to dead LOL and this is my 2nd days having them, eat like pigs, I am in love right now! I will upload photos of the tank again as soon as I have time to get proper plants work

Quote Originally Posted by sayid View Post
    Welcome Harry to the world of discus ;
    Your tank look amazing and the fish look healthy , is your light pinkish ? i would not be in a hurry to add fish so soon trust me it ends up in tears. tell us more about your tank ,it's dimension,your cleaning regim, your w/c ,what you feed them and how often,where you live and what kind of water you have , how many fish you have currently ? that is enough question for now .enjoy your experience.
    Sayid
    Hi there, I live in SE Melbourne as well! The light is RBG fully controllable and it has good number of red led in it, so the color turn out nicely. Tank is 120x45x75 and plenty of space, I only have them for 2 days so 4 discus, 30 neon, 4 cory, tank newly setup, but I have 5 kg of well used media from a reliable source. We live in the same area of Melb, so it is just aged tap water. I think i will do 30% w/c fortnightly with my current stocking, when discus population reach 15-20 (not for the next 3-4 week or so, my tank need time to mature), i will do more. Also with my aquaponic coming, water will be good i hope
    Last edited by HarryDK; Sun Nov 13, 2016 at 12:41 PM.

You are welcome Harry! I think im in love, your fish are so pretty I am only up the road in Bendigo, so if you ever need someone to baby sit that red eagle... lol.. Cant wait to see more pics