Thread: New discus

Hi, I'm New Here!

New discus

Hi all

Yesterday I purchase 8 X 3" discus from LFS.

Today I noticed that one of my discus has 1 cloudy eye (very noticeable). I didn't notice yesterday but I can't say I really had a good look at them.

My water quality is optimum and I do 2x water change weekly. Big school of cardinals , never lost one. The introduction into the tank was better than textbook.

My local fish store said that the condition is from either a fight, nicking some wood, or maybe from the net.

A couple of quick questions please:

It the LFS correct that it is possible that condition was caused in my tank?
    Is it more likely that the fish was already like this when purchased?

My research suggests that this condition is caused from poor water quality.
    I know this is not possible from my tank.. But to rule this out to my LFS is it correct on me saying that 24 hours in my tank (which is pristine) could not cause this condition?

Hi, I'm New Here!

checking discus and where to buy discus

mate from my personal experices the best thing to do when buying disucs is stand there and study them for a good 5 to 10 mins to pick any deforms out and sick ones if your buying from a local fish store they will tell u lie after lie about the fish what u wanna look for in the fish is making sure that there healthy and swimming around look at size colour and ask them what diet they have been on if the fish is on its side on the corner on the tank as they call it shallow swimming in the corner of the tank dont buy it it probably has a disease or parasite or something wrong with it discus fish are actual mid column swimmers so should be swimming in the mid section of the tank if they say that its swimming on its side shallowin the that cause it just come in or they did a water change thats lies what id sugest is sourceing out a private seller who breeds and sells them and u will find that most are alot cheaper than the pet stores or local fish stores and better quality plus have allready been wormed and quarantined as most private sellers take pride and joy in the hobbie and there fish and allways try to produce the best possible quality and also will ship to your front door step over night if there in australia and id suggest buying australian bred that way u wont get nasty diseases and unwanted bacteria and parasites and australian bred are alot hardier aswel compaired to imports hope this helps

Hi, I'm New Here!

discus fish care

it could of been knocked on something or i could of been like that when purchased more then likely it was like that the local fish will tell a few lies to help sales