Hello from South Australia

I'm new to Discus, though I have had tropical fish (among other things) for 17 years. I think it was my parents plan to get me into a contained pet when I was a kid instead of a bunny or puppy [lol that turned out well for them].

I have goldfish that have grown from a tank in my room to an pond outside, leaving a number of different sized tanks in storage in my house from each upgrade & I had the old main tropical tank altered into a tank for our two turtles a couple of years ago as they grew -they're going to need a pond next . We also have a python, bearded dragon, green tree frogs and cats.

After we retired the old tropical tank, I missed having a larger fish tank, and saved up to make the discus tank I always wanted.

Its a 500L setup with 6 small discus, as well as 4 widow tetras, 2 silver tips, 3 rams, 6 black & 11 regular neons and a pleco.

Everything is going great, (the rams have even tried to lay eggs a couple of times) though a couple of discus have developed a lot of speckling and darker fins since bringing them home. I'm not sure if it is because of my black gravel, or possibly stress because our rainwater is usually a little hard, with a pH of 7.2ishhh.

If its the gravel, I'm ok with it - & I was told that since they're captive bred, keeping the water consistent would be better than trying to reduce these levels and always having fluctuating water conditions..?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12765752_974673429248462_1884424358_o.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	21133