Thread: new technology

Wrigglers

new technology

Hi all
    I wanted to share something interesting. For some time I have looked at the Ocean Free Hydra systems with some suspicion, but also some interest. These filters use a very low electric current to produce reactive ions that break up bio-loads into nitrogen gas, water and other stuff by oxidation.
    Anyway, I wanted / needed to increase the number of discus in my tank from 5 to 7 and I was confident I would crash the tank based on the water changes I need to do to maintain it. I purchased a Hydra stream 1 and connected it to the canister filter. I must say that after 7 days I am impressed. The water is perfect, the fish are better colours and they are wanting to spawn.
    I will do some tests over the next few weeks and see how it goes.
    Matt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMGP3556.jpg  

Very interested to see your results. As I have 2 canisters do you think I'd need 1 for each canister?

Wrigglers
    You would only need one as they work based on water volume, so you would use a Hydra stream 1, 2 or 3 depending on the size of the tank. They don't use much power, so 2 would be fine if you are willing to spend the money.

Wrigglers
    Just a quick update for anyone interested in these filters.
    I have been using it now for around 4 weeks and the key difference is in the growth rate of the fish.
    I have never had fish grow so quickly, so definitely something good going on.

Sounds great, I might have to look into it.

I've recently changed food to the new Aussie Blackworm pellets and my fish seem to be getting fatter and growing quicker too.

Hows it going? Would you use it over a UV steralizer?

Wrigglers
    It would be good to do both UV and Hydra, but for different reasons. UV is great for bacteria and disease control, but the Hydra will maintain better overall water quality - ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.