Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Just an Egg
    Took me a bit to recall as this all occurred at the beginning of the year around February. This is what I remember...I was advised to use API Quick Start by the store I purchased the fish from and Amazon extract. I used the 'Quick Start' to start the tank up. My pH prior to the purchase of the fish was continually rising to around 7.4 - 7.8 so I was using pH Down throughout the three weeks and nitrate down etc. I could go on and on as I was testing the water every day and in and out of the pet shop with water samples; going home with new products (all on advice from the store). The store was insistent that I had to get my pH to the magical number of 6.8. I think now, with the later advice and reading of the docs from the website you put me onto that I just didn't give the tank time to cycle well enough plus it was an over buffering of chemicals. My tank has been continually running now since the loss of the discus and my two corydoras are as happy as larks. I purchased a 150 litre tank and a RO system (which I've yet to run). I was considering just trying again with just my bore water rather than going to a combination of bore and RO as being able to just do wc from the tap would be a lot easier. in terms of the water hardness that I posted at the beginning of my post for help - do you think the fish would adjust to this hardness or would I be better to install the RO system and use a combination of RO and bore? I haven't read your link on cycling a tank yet but will do so now. Thanks again for all your help.

Just an Egg
    Thanks Shiney, reading both links now. Thanks again for your help.

Hi, I'm New Here!
    If possible try and keep it simple as possible with you water, especially with constant water changes, discus don't like ph fluctuations , (unless it above 8.2 or below 5.5, i wouldn't touch it).

Constant water changes - 2 x 30% weekly will help to keep your nitrates down. Make sure you use a water conditioner, preheat the water and age the water for atleast 24 hours before doing a water change.

I havent had to use an RO unit yet , so I can't give you advice on RO to bore water ratios - have a look through the forum , to find information on this.

And the most important thing is try and buy good quality discus - I can give you some recommendations if needed, where abouts are you located ?

If your on Facebook , look up Gold Coast Discus, Aussie discus keepers pages and another great website for information is http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forum.php

Just an Egg
    Thanks Shiney. I'm going to give trying just the bore water and aging it in the water tank I purchased, (this is sealed so should be ideal). I've just enquired with the approp Govt Dept up here (in the NT) for a 'translocation permit' as the variety available in Darwin and the quality isn't that great. Hopefully I'll be able to obtain the permit to purchase from an interstate dealer. I'm in the rural area outside of Darwin. Wouldn't mind recommendations of where to buy good quality discus; once I know if the permit is approved (required in the NT to purchase discus from interstate) I'd like to get in contact with some reputable suppliers. I'm only looking at a grouping of 10 and have decided to purchase a bigger tank (398 L) with sump filter so they have as much room as possible to move and feel comfortable. Appreciate suggestions of suppliers however will look up Gold Coast Discus as you suggest. Cheers Krissy

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Quote Originally Posted by Krissy View Post
    Appreciate suggestions of suppliers however will look up Gold Coast Discus as you suggest. Cheers Krissy

When your ready to buy discus speak to Darren Thomson, from the Gold Coast Discus, great quality discus and very knowledgeable , and he ships them across Australia.

Just an Egg

Talking Not so 'extreme' now

I'm ecstatic as after months of deliberating and the last few weeks in getting the RO system up and running I now have a 1000 litre tank holding RO water with the following parameters:

ph 6.4 ppm , zilch in everything else. GH & KH reads at 1 degree or 17.9 ppm.

I've aged (28 hrs) some test samples of RO/Bore with the results being pleasing:

Mix RO 60/40 Bore pH 7.4 ppm , GH 1degree 17.9 ppm ,KH 5 degree 89.5 ppm
    Mix RO 80/20 Bore pH 7.2 ppm , GH & KH 1 degree 17.9 ppm

Just need to work out if I go with the 80/20 mix whether I need to use the RO mineral buffer or whether the combination of mix will have sufficient minerals in it? Waiting on the arrival of discus books which may or may not answer this question. Purchased a 400 litre aquareef tank with sump filter (unfortunately arrived damaged and currently waiting a replacement) then I can start the fish less cycling of it for eight weeks and then hopefully I'll be a discus owner again (but this time with more success)