Hi, I'm New Here!

Male eating eggs instead of fertilising them

One of my other pair. The female laid eggs but the male ate them just after.
    Any idea what's going on? Is it not a male? Why is he not attempting to fertilise them?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNQ8k1AOT00

Wrigglers
    Nice pair. I have a male that does the same thing.................very frustrating.
    Some things to consider trying:
    placing another type of fish in the tank to increase the aggression response
    introducing black water extract to get him interested in breeding
    lowering the temp to 27
    I have not been able to get mine to change his behaviour, so best of luck

Hi, I'm New Here!
    They bred every week from then. They kept eating the eggs after 2 days as most of them went bad. I separated the eggs from #3 spawn to see if any hatch. Most of them did not, but to my surprise a few did .This finally confirms that I have a male and female and that they are both fertile, unless it was a miracle fertilisation. I don't think the pair would be able to raise the fry as the tank is highly decorated and the filter is too strong. I am selling the pair at the moment if anyone is interested.

Watch in HD in full screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTIGedCzshs
    Facebook group for wild discus in Australia
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/wilddiscusaus/

Hi, I'm New Here!

breeding techniques

what u wanna do is actually get a few terracotta pots turn em up side down have a completely bare bottom tank discus dont need much space so about a 2 to 3 foot tank by about 1.5 foot tall by about 1.5 foot wide best to breed in what u wanna do is some research about your local water supply and see what your ph levels are and if the water is soft and acticie if not u will need to do a lil water chemistry to get things right if its at a good level then dont change it get air powered sponge filters do water changes every day and i mean everyday this simulates the wet season in the amazon basin where they naturally come from and the wet season is spawing season for most of the tropical fish in the amzon basin and drainages while doin this study them closely once u see them performing the mating ritual and actually laying the eggs on the terracotta pots and him fertalising them watch them do this for a few then after the process has finshed coved the pot with a protective cover such as a mesh guard you would use on the gutters of your roof this will prevent them from picking at them and eating the un fertalised eggs but they will be still able to care for the fertalised eggs by faning them to prevent fungus on the eggs and to eliminant fungus i feed them glass shrimp or cherry shrimp the chery shrimp they dont eat will clean the egs and eat the fungus and also provide a free cleaning service for the discus eggs and also will help to induce breeding aswell once the fry are born lower the level of water in the tank to where the fish have limited room to move to help the fry find the parents the mesh i told u about aswell will help the fish not to eat the newly hatched fry aswell when hatched and will also help kick in the parents natural parenting instincts the reason why u lower the water level is because 1.it helps the fry find the parents 2.the parents dont have much room to try and eat them 3.to help kick in the parents natural insticts to parent them discus fish have a natiral slime coat the fry feed off so best to keep them feeding off the parents for abouut 14 days but watch the parents closely during this process as the fry can eat away the coast and damage the parents then the parents come acceptable to catching unwated diseases and parasites i suggest watching the fry aswell and once they start eating what the parents eat u can then take them away from there parents and grow them out hope this helps