Hi, I'm New Here!

Discus spawning in community tank - should I add divider

Hi all,

I found out that I have a newly bonded pair in my discus community planted tank which started spawning yesterday.

Shortly after the eggs were laid, the male (presumed ) ate the egg.

I was informed that this could be the fact that the pair is new and also because there are other fishes around.

There are only discus and mollies in the tank right now. There are a total of 6 discus ( including the pair ) and 4 mollies in tank . My tank if 4ft ~ 250 litres.

I have made myself a divider to divide the tank. It is frame with a wire mesh.

I was wondering if you guys think that It will be a good idea to add in the divider to seperate the pair from the rest of the fish.
    If so will it be better if i cover up the wire mesh ? and drill some smaller hole for the water to flow or add a different filter in it?

Otherwise, will you recommend to place the discus pair into a seperate tank now ? or wait for a couple more spawning before doing so.

Thank you very much for your help. Any suggest welcomed

Wrigglers
    it's up to you but discus eggs with mollies don't survive very long ,i would get a separate tank for the pair ,you have got a much better chance that way. 50 -60 liter hospital tank will do .
    sayid

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Hi Sayid,

Thanks for your advice. I am setting up another tank. I only have a spare standard 2 foot tank. is that too big for the fry attachment ?
    Cheers

Wrigglers
    that should be fine ,good luck