Hi, I'm New Here!

Trickle vs Sponge

Im planning my new fish room & really torn between a central filtering system for my breeders & another central system for my grow out tanks. TDS will be lower in the breeding tanks & higher in the grow outs so two systems required.
    Or, just stick with the humble & reliable large sponge filters.
    Help me decide & give me a reason why you went the way you did with your setup.
    Cheers

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Anybody??????

i'd go sponges. easy and chgeap to run off one big air pump. can add as many sponges as you like to a grow out tank. easy to clean and each tank runs independantly so the risk of spread of infection and disease is decreased.

hth
    my Flickr photo page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/27593184@N05/
    my YouTube page: http://www.youtube.com/user/Mattzilla5000#p/u
    `·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((( (º>
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    `·.¸¸.·´><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>><( (((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    `·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((( (º>
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    `·.¸¸.·´><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattzilla View Post
    i'd go sponges. easy and chgeap to run off one big air pump. can add as many sponges as you like to a grow out tank. easy to clean and each tank runs independantly so the risk of spread of infection and disease is decreased.

hth
    Thanks Matt.
    That's 1 vote for sponges.

Just an Egg
    When I used to have a fishroom I had all tanks on a central filter system plus had sponge filters in every tank. This meant I had a large volume of filtered water that was very easy to maintain from kh or gh levels etc. also made water changes very easy as I could do the whole system at once by overfilling the sump to almost the top before it automatically reached a level it started siphoning at.

Also I plumbed the tanks so they each drained out one end into a pipe running past them. This way no tank needed to drain into another so each tank could be isolated if required from the central filter system.

This worked really well for a number of years and I never had a disease in the system, hope this helps.

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Thanks Shak.