Hi, I'm New Here!

wet dry or sump filteration ?

new poster here. had fish room some 30 years ago with 40 breeder tanks for cichlids. now getting back into hobby. just purchase 125 gallon with two corner overflows, which filtration system to use? back in the day had all corner bubble ups or undergravel filters or powerful promaster hang on back with siphon tubes. canisters had just started coming out.

I wanted to go canister but do not want heater on the inside of the tank, the more research I do I like the biological filtration as well.

wet dry with bio balls or sump refugium? it is confusing as reading forums online speak of other types mainly for saltwater. At first I really thought I was behind the curve

my plan is dry start method with a dozen plants, large diftwood and few small fish to get parameters in order

Just an Egg
    I have only ever used a sump with bioballs and a pre filter. Do not understand in this day and age why people still use canisters. To clean my filter I just switch the return off, pick up the pre filter, rinse it and put it back. Simple, therefore it gets done regularly and water quality is maintained. Canisters are more a case of out of sight, out of mind.

Hi, I'm New Here!

Hi, I'm New Here!

Both has some advantages

l know that wet dry and sump filteration has some advantages individual? l know that cleaning up with sump filtration is easier.
    l never feel alone with animals!knowledge

Hi, I'm New Here!
    A sump is a container that your main tank drains to and there's a pump to pump water back to the main tank. You can put the skimmer pump and heaters or UV pump whatever in the sump.
    Add a crate or one more chamber with bio balls or bio network over the water line to the sump and it is presently a wet/dry or stream sump/filter.
    Numerous ppl. rather than adding a bio ball box/chamber add a refugium chamber. It's a chamber with live sand and lives rock and plants so it draws out supplements from water for the plants so they don't take care of green growth in the primary tank. This is known as a sump/fuge.
    I made mine with every one of the three so I have a wet/dry sump/fuge.