Thread: head trauma

Wrigglers

head trauma

hi every one ;
    earlier this afternoon i noticed a piece of skin the size of small pea which has separated from the head of my adult discus.

it is about 15 cm , about 5 years old ,i have had him/her 3 years ,never been sick .he is in a 4 feet tank ,212 liter with 3 other adult discus ,planted tank ,
    ph 6.4
    gh 2
    kh 1
    nitrite 0
    ammonia 0
    nitrate 10 temp 30 c
    the tank has been routinely treated with sterazin for the past 9 days ,the last treatment will be tomorrow.
    the discus looks and behaves quit normal apart from this piece of skin hanging from his head , the best scenario is that he has cut his head on drift wood or some thing and my plan is to keep him in the tank for his last treatment of sterazin then transfer him to the hospital tank with fresh water ,extra salt and Melafix ,i am trying to keep him in clean environment so there is no secondary infection .
    i would welcome and appreciate any suggestion regarding this treatment. please tell me if you think i should go with metronidazole treatment.
    thanks for your interest
    cheers
    sayid

Quote Originally Posted by sayid View Post
    the best scenario is that he has cut his head on drift wood
    I had a discus with a similar cut the other week. The only thing I did, other than the usual water changes, was to add IAL to the water. The discus appears ok now.

Wrigglers
    I would just leave it alone unless it get's worse

Wrigglers
    hi jim
    what is IAL?

Wrigglers
    would be Indian Almond Leaf - tannin to reduce pH and bacteria

Wrigglers
    update
    24 hours later and he acts normal looking for food and generally o.k
    thanks jim and matt for your suggestions ,i am going to leave him alone as you both have suggested and let see how he goes .
    cheers

Hi, I'm New Here!
    I have also had fish, not my discus thank God have ich and velvet which is a cotton looking skin disease and I added IALs to my tank but no meds and the disease cleared up.