Hi, I'm New Here!

Sump or sponge filter - which is best for breeding

Hi i am setting up a small breeding setup and unsure of which way to proceed.... i got 4 x 2foot tanks that i am trying to setup for discus breeding. To start i am considering, 2 for 2 pairs and the other 2 for frys if i am lucky enough. Most i would go is adding an extra 4ft tank for frys and having 4 pairs. I am confused at my search results, some are saying its okay to use sponge filters but most of the setup ive seen have a sump!
    I am curious to know since my tank setup is small, is the sump necessary or is a sponge filters is enough for discus.

Thanks any help is appreciated

Personally i would use sponges for a breeding setup. less likely to lose tiny fry to overflows
    my Flickr photo page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/27593184@N05/
    my YouTube page: http://www.youtube.com/user/Mattzilla5000#p/u
    `·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((( (º>
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    `·.¸¸.·´><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>><( (((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    `·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((( (º>
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    `·.¸¸.·´><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Just an Egg
    Long time since I've bred discus but a good size sponge filter with no substrate on the bottom of the tank and water changes was what I used. I will hopefully one day set up some breeding tanks again.

Hi, I'm New Here!
    No messing about with plumbing and no need to heat that extra water in the sump. Water change would be a pain though