Thread: Kursuri wormer

Just an Egg

Kursuri wormer

Hi all,

I've got some discus in my display tank now after cycling fro three months and they all bar one have come from the same source. All supposedly treated for worms etc previously.

Now that I have the first lot together should I treat with Kursuri as a preventative, all fish are eating and I've had about 4 spawns so far so I'm assuming their all happy. I don't want to treat for something that may not be an issue and then cause an issue.

There are twenty discus in the tank and the whole system with sump is 3,000 litres. The Kursuri says it does 2,000 gallons so there is plenty to do the whole tank.

Any advice appreciated as a bit nervous every about treating just in case.

Wrigglers
    I wouldn't risk it. Does it say you can include the wormer in food? That may be safer, start with small amounts. I have had problems with the closely related drug panacur in acidic water.

Just an Egg
    Thanks for the response but I decided after doing the old google search for others experience to give it a go and see what happens. Followed the instructions, for once, and premixed it in a container then added to the tank and it did what it said went cloudy for about an hour then cleared up.

So far so good and no ill affects on any of the fish that I have noticed and hopefully the added benefit that the snails will die.

Don't think I will do it every month as some suggest but may do it if I see any issues or after I add new fish, YES I don't have a quarantine tank so taking a risk their hence why also limiting fish to known LFS and hopefully very reputable and properly quarantined.

I dose Kusuri every other month, no ill effects so far. I do it after a small water change and not anything else. That way if something goes wrong I can pinpoint it to the Kusuri.

Wrigglers
    i have a 500 liter tank and 8 adult discus and do kusuri on average every 3 month ,no bad effect .it is very mild and the discus show no adverse effect ,just be careful if you have any cat fish or B Nose type fish or any fish with no scale.
    sayid

Hmmm this could be why my last bristlenose died, I can't remember whether it was before or after I last dosed Kusuri. Sterbais have been fine though...

Wrigglers
    Quote Originally Posted by jimstreet View Post
    Hmmm this could be why my last bristlenose died, I can't remember whether it was before or after I last dosed Kusuri. Sterbais have been fine though...
    i think bristlenose are safe with half the dosage also remember that bottom eaters are more prone to have worms because of their eating enviroment.
    sayid

Wrigglers
    Hi Gang,

I've found the Kusuri to be great. I have a 1000lt Discus display with the usual clean up crew, Cardinal and Rummy Nose Tetras, various Cories, breeding pairs of Bristle nose with about 300 B-N babies that range in size from 1-5cm. I treat with Kusuri at the full dose and its just fine. I treat every 6-8 weeks. Been using it now for about two years and have not had a single issue. Its definitely helped to settle the tank down as far as the odd illness issue goes. A 20g pack of Kusuri is about $45-$50 over here in Western Australia and I receive it in the post as I'm about 450k's from my preferred supplier.
    The only warning I would give is that Kusuri will kill snails if you are in to them. I had a snail plague after introducing some new plants and the uninvited guests started taking over. It knocked them on the head quick smart which was great!!!

Cheers

Just an Egg
    Hi guys.
    I use kusuri all the time in all my tanks and I L plecos peepys and no losses'.. Will kill snails and not to be used with sting rays.