Filter media question

Hi all, I'm running 2 Eheim 2217's on my 5x2x2 discus tank.
    Since I bought them about a year ago I've run the stock media you get with the filter.
    I'm wanting to run a different set up for each filter.
    Can anyone recommend good set ups?
    Discus tank with a few plants nothing serious and no co2.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Mavzta View Post
    I'm wanting to run a different set up for each filter.
    I'm interested to know why?

Quote Originally Posted by jimstreet View Post
    I'm interested to know why?
    To maximise the use of 2 filters.
    My mate runs 2 different media set ups in his.
    I actually thought it was quite common.

Just an Egg
    The standard eheim media is pretty good, I've used it and plenty of other media in the eheims before today. Generally I have only changed out the media if the canister didn't come with original eheim media and I've had other available to me.

If you currently have media in them I wouldn't be buying new media to replace one.

Hi, I'm New Here!
    I have got a eheim 2217 but it only come with sponge I am wondering. Of I could put kh1 in the bottom then sponge then kh1 then the rest sponge what. Do u think

Just an Egg
    I'm not sure what kh1 filter media is, you don't mean K1 media do you? if so I don't think that would work as it needs oxygen via an airstone as far as I know to keep it moving and make it work fully.
    I
    f I had just sponges in a eheim I would add some other media, you can use the original eheim media, seachem matrix, noodles, or almost any type of media that doesn't need an airstone will work well in a canister filter.

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Sorry shakadog yes it is k1 thanxs

Just an Egg
    Nabes, I would not put K1 media inside an Eheim or any other canister filter. To the best of my knowledge it isn't designed to work that way, it may well get some bacteria building up on it and work but not like it is meant to with the constant movement of air self cleaning it and making it one of the most effective medias around. I have 50 litres of K1 in the sump on my discus tank with a large air pump constantly circulating it. Now after a good 8 months it has got that light brown colour and is working at full volume, I can't even get a nitrate reading in my tank above zero and I am dosing Seachem Nitrogen directly into the tank for the plants, albeit a low dose.

I also happen to be running two Eheim 2180 canister filters on the sump, pick up at the return end of the sump and returning to the end of the sump where the water flows in and the K1 media sits. One of these Eheims is full of Pond Matrix, had it left over, and the other is full of Eheims own media. Both work very well.

There are photos of my tank in the photo section under Shakadog if you wish to have a look at the tank or filter.

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Cheers shakadog. I have put the k1. In my sump filter with a air stone in. And I have just got some eheim. Media thanxs. For the reply I am going to have a look at your filter now