Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Discuss lights

Hi, I'm New Here!

Discuss lights

Hi Folks,

I am in the process of setting up a new tank for discuss.
    I bought a new tank its 6*2*2 and a eheim 2260 canister filter.

I need your help to buy a sitable light for my tank ,also
    i have read in some other post that discuss prefer to be in
    darker area.
    I am just confused about what kind of lighting will be good for this
    fish and also which looks good for the tank aswell.

Thanks
    Pran

Hi Pran Welcome,
    yes discus prefer more subdued lighting but quickly become accustomed to normal / bright lighting.
    if you have a 6x2x2 tank you have loads of options you'll just need to decide what kind of look you want.

if you want more of a slimline look, 2x 3 foot t5's or LED;s would do the trick but the LED's could get pricy for decent ones.

there's always the old school fluro lights which always work well enough.

A look I love at the moment is what some of the reef guys are doing with cool running LED floodlights (PAR38's etc) to give bright and dark parts to the tank a couple of 6500k midday bulbs and clamp lamps and your way, but the look isn't conventional. (attached photo from nano reef)

jump onto google and I'm sure you'll find inspiration as to the look you want to achieve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 8ef374bc.jpg   91808432.jpg  

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Thanks for your reply.
    Could you please advise which LED lights are the best and the price.

Also if i use the 2x 3 foot t5's does this would be enought if so i can save on this.
    What kind of light are those which you attached in the thread.

Thanks
    Pran

I've tried a few light setups for my discus tank and I am finally happy with a Fluval Aqualife & Plant Performance LED. Most LEDs are cool and don't show off the discus too well, colour/shadows etc. I really like the visual colour of the Fluval and it also provides the plants (Amazon Swords) with the correct spectrum. Discus don't need a lot of light but your plants might. This will influence the decision of what light you need.

You really need to decide what look you want. If you don't intend to keep plants and are happy with even conventional lighting then a 6 foot flouro setup will be fine. If you want to grow some non demanding plants like anubias and Java fern then look at a t5 or led light. On a tank like yours you would need 4x39w t5s to keep the plants alive.
    If you want to get adventurous you could look at the par38's I posted above that way you'll get bright and subdued lighting within the tank. On a 6footer you'd want to use 4-5 spotlights and it's up to your imagination or engineering skills how you do it.
    You could get a great effect with some warm - neutral white par38's off eBay for about $20 each add in $8-12 for some single or double sockets used for umbrella lighting and some cheap stainless up rights and you'd have an magnificent custom lighting setup for under $250 that will never need a bulb change.

It all comes down to you and how you want your tank to look.

I'll diy up some examples on the weekend as I'm redoing the lighting on my 5x2.5x2.5 tank to try and give you some ideas

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Quote Originally Posted by jimstreet View Post
    I've tried a few light setups for my discus tank and I am finally happy with a Fluval Aqualife & Plant Performance LED. Most LEDs are cool and don't show off the discus too well, colour/shadows etc. I really like the visual colour of the Fluval and it also provides the plants (Amazon Swords) with the correct spectrum. Discus don't need a lot of light but your plants might. This will influence the decision of what light you need.
    Thanks Jimstreet
    I was checking for the Fluval Aqualife & Plant Performance LED and the reviews all are good .So for a 6 feet length tank which one should i go for and any idea about the price?
    Thanks

A couple of 3 footers would do as they don't make a 6 footer.
    http://aquariumproducts.com.au/catal...hp?prodID=6996

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Quote Originally Posted by ILLUSN View Post
    You really need to decide what look you want. If you don't intend to keep plants and are happy with even conventional lighting then a 6 foot flouro setup will be fine. If you want to grow some non demanding plants like anubias and Java fern then look at a t5 or led light. On a tank like yours you would need 4x39w t5s to keep the plants alive.
    If you want to get adventurous you could look at the par38's I posted above that way you'll get bright and subdued lighting within the tank. On a 6footer you'd want to use 4-5 spotlights and it's up to your imagination or engineering skills how you do it.
    You could get a great effect with some warm - neutral white par38's off eBay for about $20 each add in $8-12 for some single or double sockets used for umbrella lighting and some cheap stainless up rights and you'd have an magnificent custom lighting setup for under $250 that will never need a bulb change.

It all comes down to you and how you want your tank to look.

I'll diy up some examples on the weekend as I'm redoing the lighting on my 5x2.5x2.5 tank to try and give you some ideas
    Waiting for the updates from you to get more ideas....

No prob, I built the stands last night with some aluminium tube from Bunnings I'll try and get them mounted tonight on the tank and maybe get some lights in. Here's my Nano at work as a tease on a cheap $20 stand from guppy's. The bulb is my 12w prototype 18000K marine bulb (way too blue for a planted tank) while I wait for my new full spectrum tropical bulbs to be manufactured.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_0577.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by jimstreet View Post
    A couple of 3 footers would do as they don't make a 6 footer.
    http://aquariumproducts.com.au/catal...hp?prodID=6996
    I love that light! for a 6x2 foot print you would need 4-6 of those to grow plants well, just due to coverage, also that type of LED may not have the PAR at depth for a plants.

All that being said for a discus only non planted tank 2 of them would look amazing!